cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voip settings for the samsung wave

mystery
Grafter

voip settings for the samsung wave

I've just purchased a samsung wave with wifi. I'm about to go on holiday, Can I use this to make free calls back to the UK? My sons home phone and mobile are set up to recieve plusnet voip calls.
Does anyone know the settings I would need use plusnet voip on my mobile?
Also, I'm unsure as to whether I need to remove my sim card to guarantee that the call will be free (from my plusnet sip minutes) as I was charged by o2 last year when I assumed  I was logging into the hotels free wifi connection.
Somebody mentioned using google talk, but I don't know much about this and if it's possible to use it for voice calls.
Any help greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: voip settings for the samsung wave

Does anyone know the settings I would need use plusnet voip on my mobile?

To use PlusNet voip you need a SIP client and I'm afraid there isn't one available for the Samsung Wave.
puddy
Grafter

Re: voip settings for the samsung wave

Quote from: MisterW
To use PlusNet voip you need a SIP client and I'm afraid there isn't one available for the Samsung Wave.

MisterW right but  the following Nokia Mobile phones E65 N95 N95-8gb N900 have the sip client you need for making voip calls on the move their not that expensive as you think! For price try and pick up a nokia E65 Sim free should cost about £35. Don’t forget look for Sim free and if you buy one that used to be a Vodafone one it will need de-branding unless the sellers already done it but an independent mobile phone shop (not CPW/Dixons type outlets) will update the firmware debranded for you expect to add £10- £15. 
Or go for a Nokia N95 £65 if the case is a bit battered they can be re-cased again (break off the old front and back covers and press the new ones on no tools needed) look for one that’s Sim free and de-branded if on the Vodafone network.  There’s lots of choice on eBay so be picky don’t go for the first one.
Quote from: mystery
Also, I'm unsure as to whether I need to remove my Sim card to guarantee that the call will be free (from my Plusnet sip minutes) as I was charged by o2 last year when I assumed it was free

With the nokia phones listed above you can take the Sim card out to make free calls if you wish.  You can make free voip calls in most bars abroad that offer Wi-Fi access more and more places are offering Wi-Fi than ever before, the phone could pay for itself in 1 holiday compared to roaming charges, friends can call you free too (BT type free inclusive minutes) just text them to tell you are logged on  they just dial your Plusnet std number no international dialling codes and you dont need to pay for incoming calls (voip) when abroad
You said family members are with Plusnet then just dial their account number and talks as long as you like free of charge voip to voip
It’s a shame you brought your Samsung phone, ever thought of selling it to raise the cash for a nokia phone listed above?
Puddy
Ps there are other Nokia phones out their (n82 & n97mini) but the ones I listed above I have used myself and I know how to set them up if you have any problems