cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

voice prompt problems

juke33
Dabbler

voice prompt problems

When I started trial I set up voice prompt with no problem. That then stopped working and new voice prompts fail as when I dial 188 with the new 9 digit pin details he tells me the pin has not been recognised as a valid code. (I do enter the corect numbers).
I have tried again today and 188 is engaged.
29 REPLIES
juke33
Dabbler

Re: voice prompt problems

I still can not record my voice prompt. I now have engaged signal on 188 when I try to ring with the 9 didgit code. As I said earlier my original prompt worked fine , then stopped and reverted back  to the standard message re "extension no". Since then I've been unable to record a new prompt.
Could someone please help?
RichSmol
Grafter

I've raised a case with Gradwell with regards to this - not seen any other problems with the voice prompt feature previously so this is not an known issue.
cheers
Rich
RichSmol
Grafter

Gradwell have come back to me advising that you need to enable RFC 2833 - obviously enabling this is different on a number of devices but generally you have to change the DTMF mode setting to = RFC 2833.
If this means nothing let me know which device your using or better still provide a screenshot of your advanced settings.
cheers
Rich
juke33
Dabbler

Thank you but that means nothing to me either ! I'm using a VoIP/802.11g ADSL2+ Firewall Router with a binatone system 1000 phone. I am able to look at router settings but have not given a screen shot as there is nothing in my voip set up re rfc 2833 !
I was using a voice prompt when I first started the trial. It stopped working on it's own. Since then I've been unable to record a new one as firstly the man said he did not recognise the 9 pin code and now 188 is engaged all the time.
I go to voice prompts, record new voice prompt then get engaged on dialling 188.
pnf
Grafter

Does the following help in any way?  It is something that I reported earlier in the trial but which is hidden away in another thread.
Quote from: pnf
On the VoIP trial services web page for Voice Prompts, when opting to record a new voice prompt the following message appears:
Voice Prompts
To record your new voice prompt, simply dial 188 from your VoIP phone (or 0870 861 6662 from the PSTN). When prompted, please enter the pin code 123 456 789…

The above instructions will not work from a normal phone attached to a router (in my case a cordless DECT phone attached to a Speedtouch 780).  Instead you must do the following:
On the phone’s handset:
•  [color=blue]dial *1
and wait for the prompts
•  press 0 (mailbox options) then
•  press 1 to start recording your ‘unavailable’ message
•  press # when you have finished recording 
•  press 2 to playback the recording and then if you are happy with it
•  press 1 to accept the recording.[/color]

juke33
Dabbler

Thanks pnf, I have just tried that. At the moment when I dial *1  I am not getting any prompts. I'm getting a fast noise, not engaged ( I think). I will try later. My phone works fine apart from this so I know it works ok.
Thank you
juke33
Dabbler

pnf....As an after thought..... I think I setup my original voice prompt as you said, which is why it originally worked.(probably reading the forums and found your advice.) Pity it stopped working!
RichSmol
Grafter

Gradwell are still looking at this for me - please can you ensure that you do not have an dial plans or rules in place which might be obstructing the * dialing.
cheers
Rich
juke33
Dabbler

Where do I look to see? I'll try and put router dial plan details here if that helps?
juke33
Dabbler

and this
acr
Rising Star

I had the same problem (albeit with different equipment).
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,57898.msg471849.html#msg471849
For me, on a Draytek 2800VG, the RFC2833 setting did not work. I had to change the DTMF mode to SIP INFO (CISCO Format) to record the voice prompt.
RichSmol
Grafter

juke33 - Gradwell have advised that they have successfully created and used the voicemail voice prompts, so this must be a problem with your kit.
I've noticed a few things which might be worth a try (not sure if they are related but may improve resilience):
Outbound proxy: nat.plus.net
Outbound proxy port: 5082
Also, try removing the dial plan - copy the plan into a notepad file and you can put it back in afterwards if needs be.
Juke33 & Ruslyn:
Can you confirm the Router + Phone model plus the firmware versions in use?
xpcomputers
Grafter

Jake33
I have a similar router to you (I think - case on the screen shots). If it is a Billion, and you have a 5.52g or higher based firmware, then they now have the DTMF options available.
If you go to VOIP, then PHONE PORT (on the left menu). Select "Port 1" (and also later do the same for "port 2" since you seem to be using both!) in the right hand side. You should get the screens that show the CODEC PREFERENCE and under that the DTMF method.
I would try all 3 options in turn ("Inband", "RFC2833" and "SIP INFO").
If the DTMF method isn't listed there, then you either have a different router brand to me, or you need to update your firmware to the latest (currently 5.52g is the latest for most models in the UK - I'm told 5.53 was due in Jan... but I am still waiting!).
On the older firmwares, the DTMF method was fixed. But you could sometimes improve things by changing your CODEC to a different option eg G.711U or G.711A or G.729, which sometimes made it work.
Post you Router Model & firmware version (main status page) SOFTWARE VERSION:
juke33
Dabbler

Richmol,
Thanks for trying.
If I set up 5082 and nat.plus.net I can not ring out. Just tested this.
I know I am using old firmware on my router but as I've not had a problem have been reluctant to update it due to my son having set up different things on it ages ago to run his computer and xbox360. If I update I don't think either of us will remember what we set up !
I don't suppose it matters if I can't record my own message but it's odd that I did do it originally on this trial, by pressing buttons on the phone not by ringing 188 I think.
I've put a screen shot of my firmware.