cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

three\nokia e710\sony c510\skype\fring\plusnet

Community Veteran

three\nokia e710\sony c510\skype\fring\plusnet

I'm considering moving to the three network mix'n'match which comes with unlimited skype. and a Sony C510 or the Nokia E71
Am i correct in saying that using fring i will be able to use my 240 mins pn voip via skype using the above combination? Would it also be the case that my PN local number would direct calls to the skype sotware on the phone. Would it be skype software on the phone or would it be skype using a plugin? / alternate settings within skype?
Is fring different to skype or is fring a set of settings configured in skype that routes calls via fring? on three skype is unlimited but would fring be classed as skype?

Am I right or is my understanding of things wrong?
Cheers,
podman
23 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: three\nokia e710\sony c510\skype\fring\plusnet

plusnet VoIP service is not Skype compatible,
if you’re looking for a Nokia mobile phone for plusnet VoIP service the following will work  E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb these one are easy to setup. 
You could ask your isp (not vodaphone t-mobile or orange) if they will give you a better offer after the 1st year if you ask them for a sim card only deal and buy a second hand nokia E65 from eBay. cost about £80 stay away from vodaphone orange t-mobile they take out the VoIP settings or take it to your local mobile phone repair shop (independent) and ask them to de-brand it and upload a nokia generic firmware and unlock it if you buy a locked phone  firmware-update £10 and £10 to unlock it.  It’s a lot cheaper than an 18-24 month contract at £40 a month
The nokia e65 a brilliant phone I use mine everyday for VoIP calls
kind regards
Puddy
Community Veteran

Cheers Puddy,
so is fring a skype alternative that works with pn via voip as opposed to a SIP.?
At first I thought fring was a bridge between skype and pn's voip but I gather that fring is just able to use the skye details and is in itself a seperate entity.
if i choose to use fring it will be a seperate download to my phone and use my internet allowance as opposed to my included skype allowance, network 3

podman
itsme
Grafter

Fring is a communications organiser and controller. Instead of downloading seperate programs for Skype, SIP, communicator etc Fring will control all these in one place. Fring will log on to you different Skype and SIP accounts for you. So when you want to make a call you will have a choice for calls to go through GSM, Skype, SIP and Fring.  So it can be thought of as a router. When you log onto the Fring portal the portal will then log onto your other SIP and Skype accounts. So you do not log into your accounts directly with the phone but through the Fring portal.
Fring has benefits for phones that cannot support SIP calls and can overcome port forwarding problems when using public WiFi hotspots.
Community Veteran

Cheers for the simple explanation. Looking at the fring website it dosn't make it sound so obvious. maybe PN should write a simple guide so we all know.
I know at present it's basically aimed at tech savy users but a good explanation could help.
podman
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy

stay away from vodaphone orange t-mobile they take out the VoIP settings or take it to your local mobile phone repair shop (independent) and ask them to de-brand it and upload a nokia generic firmware

T-Mobile don't remove the VOIP settings from the nokia handsets
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bud

Yes the do except for the top range account they offer
all I am saying if you want a nokia E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb to use with plusnet VoIP account it’s better to stay away from vodaphone orange and T-mobile accounts.  For price plan lower down T-Mobile could if they find out you were using a VoIP service that they will disconnect the phone or even cancel the contract and ask for their phone back
Why do they do this? because they think it will hit their profit margin
How much do T-Mobile charge for the top of the range account and how longs the contract for?
a T-Mobile phone will still need the product code changing so you can run a generic code and firmware update then unlock it. You can of course change the product code at home it takes about 10-15 minutes
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

I believe it's only a problem if you use VoIP on GPRS and it's variants.
quote from T-Mobile T&C's for their data plan
Remember that you can't use your plan to make internet phone calls. You can use all of our T-Mobile HotSpots in the UK, but you'll need to accept our HotSpots legal stuff first.

and as far as I can see you can make VoIP calls on T-Mobile hotspots.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I believe it's only a problem if you use VoIP on GPRS and it's variants.

Yes but do they actively block Voip traffic ? or is it more that they cannot guarantee the latency of the GPRS/HSDPA network is good enough to handle voip traffic and therefore say that you can't use it just to cover themselves ?
AFAIK most of the Mobile broadband package suppliers say that you cant use them for voip. I used a mobile broadband dongle with my laptop on the TMN network in Portugal recently,  and although they say it can't be used for voip, my Plusnet voip account worked fine most of the time, apart from one day when the echo and sound quality was awful!!.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Bud

Yes the do except for the top range account they offer
all I am saying if you want a nokia E65 N82 N95 and N95-8gb to use with plusnet VoIP account it’s better to stay away from vodaphone orange and T-mobile accounts.  For price plan lower down T-Mobile could if they find out you were using a VoIP service that they will disconnect the phone or even cancel the contract and ask for their phone back
Why do they do this? because they think it will hit their profit margin
How much do T-Mobile charge for the top of the range account and how longs the contract for?
a T-Mobile phone will still need the product code changing so you can run a generic code and firmware update then unlock it. You can of course change the product code at home it takes about 10-15 minutes
Puddy

But it is not disabled on the handset like you suggest and I can use mine on plustalk which I do via wifi at work and elsewhere.
T-Mobile odo not allow you to use VOIP via GPRS/HSDPA on the basic webNwalk.
A T-Mobile phone DOES NOT need to be debranded to work with VOIP, as it wouldn't mean t-mobile would have to have 2 different software versions to disable VOIP as you seem to always suggest.
I have had several nokia handsets from t-mobile with t-mobile fimrware and not a single one has had VOIP disabled.
The account you refer to is an add on which you can take montly if you wish.
puddy
Grafter

T-Mobile U.K. has banned the use of VoIP over its cellular networks. T-Mobile's web 'n' walk plan expressly prohibits such usage right on their website and even states that the company reserves the right to terminate contracts.
Here's the text from the bottom of their site:

Use of Voice over Internet Protocol and Messaging over Internet Protocol is prohibited by T-Mobile. If use of either or both of these services is detected T-Mobile may terminate all contracts with the customer and disconnect any SIM cards and/or web ‘n’ walk cards from the T-Mobile network.
Kind regards
Puddy
itsme
Grafter

But it's not restricting using VoIP on a T-Mobile supplied phone. You just can't use the T-Mobile network which is the same for the other networks. As I have never used VoIP on GSM, GPRS, Edge or HSPDA I don't know how good the call quality will be. The reason that I don't use mobile networks is it's data charges are more expensive than voice.
puddy
Grafter

If you can input VOIP settings on the phone it won’t route the call over GSM etc network  All you need is a wireless internet signal at home or a unprotected wireless connection away from home you don’t even need a sim card in the phone to make VoIP calls
But some mobile phone companies put a spanner in the works by using different firmware.  It’s all to do with the product code (see label near the battery) every time Nokia update the firmware and you download it , it will have your mobile phone providers advert icons in it
If you change the product code you can get the firmware to a Nokia Generic phone the same as a buying a sim free phone from the shop without paying over £200 to £300.  By doing this it will put things like the VoIP settings that back in that some mobile phone companies take (Vodafone and others) out.  You can do this at home if you want or get it done when you want to unlock the phone so you can use it with any sim card.
The EU state that locking a phone to a networks is illegal and so is taking out VoIP settings but we know the EU move very slowly
Its free* to make sip to sip calls  and most VoIP provider only charge 1p within the UK  You can even make free calls when abroad and if anybody calls your (std) VoIP number and your are outside of the UK there’s no international call charges and they won’t even know your outside the UK they won’t even need to dial 0044 codes just put your UK VoIP number and if they get a free call allowance it free for them to call you.
Most VoIP phone companies now charge £2.50 for a local std code of your choice unlike Plusnet and orbtalk which is free.  Other give you a 0845/0870 which may not come out of a callers free allowance
Kind regards
Puddy
*=To make free sip to sip calls anywhere in the world free of charge you need to be customer of the same VoIP company unless your VoIP company have a peering arrangement
itsme
Grafter

But some mobile phone companies put a spanner in the works by using different firmware.  It’s all to do with the product code (see label near the battery) every time Nokia update the firmware and you download it , it will have your mobile phone providers advert icons in it

Believe you will find that the firmware is the same but the providers configure the phone to stop access to certain functions.Nokia is not going to modify, supply and hold every provider firmware worldwide. It would be a logistic nightmare. On my Nokia removing  the phone provider logo is a menu option. What providers will do is to remove this option from the menu. Wink
Community Veteran

T-Mobile U.K. has banned the use of VoIP over its cellular networks. T-Mobile's web 'n' walk plan expressly prohibits such usage right on their website and even states that the company reserves the right to terminate contracts.
Here's the text from the bottom of their site:

Use of Voice over Internet Protocol and Messaging over Internet Protocol is prohibited by T-Mobile. If use of either or both of these services is detected T-Mobile may terminate all contracts with the customer and disconnect any SIM cards and/or web ‘n’ walk cards from the T-Mobile network.
Kind regards
Puddy

But that does NOT mean they remove the options from the handset wich you are suggesting they do, and DOES NOT stop you from using it over wifi.  All that means is you cant use it over the T-Mobile network.
I have had 4 different t-mobile branded handsets now and all of them have the VOIP menus there and I have used them for making VOIP calls over Wifi at home and at work and havent had to debrand them as you suggest you have to do.