cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jmshuff

So I bought broadband specifically to use skype.
Is this the right forum?
The problem is that skype works ok except when I try to include the video facility.
I run vista home basic and from what I read the spec should be ok for skype except I need a broadband speed of 256 for upload and I'm getting between 180 and 235.
Could this be the problem?
Has anyone experienced this?
Regards
Jim Walsh
11 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: skype

a)how long have you had this connection
b)take a look at his http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/IPprofile.htm to find your profile speed
c)Then this one to see the expected speeds http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/EABNT
If your profile is good enough you should get 300+ upload on any PN package
I am not an expert on Broadband phone, this is a paid service that is a lot different to skype
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

We make significant use of Skype for communication between our UK and Netherland offices.
Voice works fine but we have never had a lot of success with video. We have a business ADSL line which gives us 832k upstream speed so it's not bandwidth on our connection that's the problem. In our experience you need a lot of CPU power for Skype video... and even then its a bit unreliable. 
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

I can echo what ianwarrilow says.  I've only ever played with Skype at work, which has a couple of 10Gb links.  Voice was easy to set up, but I never got video working.  I'm currently hammering my connection ftp'ing to one of my servers, and even so my speed test is:

If that's not enough upload bandwidth for Skype video, then we're all in trouble!
Phil
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: ianwarrilow
We make significant use of Skype for communication between our UK and Netherland offices.

Ian plusnet offer voip you get free minutes from plusnet depending on your contract read below this may be helpful on true voip (sip) and how to get free calls ,local calls, and cheaper calls
Plusnet VoIP gives you free VoIP minutes depending what contract you signed up for. You can choose which STD code in the UK you want?
If you have 2 accounts you could setup both VoIP phones up in the UK send one out to your office abroad plug it in to their router that way you could make free calls (sip to sip) and if you dial an English telephone  number from your device abroad they count as calls from within the UK.
In addition you do not have to leave your computer on to make or receive calls just your router here and abroad.
Setup costs vary for the equipment anywhere from £18 for a Linksys PAP 2 Adapter or a round £60 for a desk or dect ip phone.  For an office a Grandstream GXP2000 would be a better option you can have up to 4 different VoIP providers.  Sipgate are highly recommend too www.sipgate.co.uk
Some Nokia phones can be used as a VoIP device they are the Nokia E65, N82, and N95 & N95 8GB. You do need a wireless router for them to work.
If you are connected and you’re in your office overseas you could make a VoIP call to the UK free (sip to sip) or out of your free allowance, or charged as a local call.  So no need for roaming charges.  In addition if your mobile phone is logged in to a wireless router anywhere in the world it will ring when someone dials your VoIP number
You can buy a video ip phone but they are not cheap at present but cost will fall BT do them but they are locked to BT Network and call charges are very expensive.  The nearest I got to video phone is my Nokia N95.
puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

strange, I did open up a skype account but the only trouble is to find out when the people you want to talk to are on line, but I used to talk to some one about 15 mile away, both of us had web cams and we got pretty good video - face and body wise, and at that time I only has a 3M profile.  Dont use it now to much fag
OK Puddy, this used to be VOIP trial, but where do you put Skype calls, they after all are broadband phones, which is what this section is called
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre

OK Puddy, this used to be VOIP trial, but where do you put Skype calls, they after all are broadband phones, which is what this section is called

Just describing the service plusnet offer!
puddy
jmshuff

Thanks for all the replies.
In response to pierre_pierre, I've had the connection since last Tuesday.
I looked at the profile and expected speed links but they're a bit technical for me and I can't work out how to find my way round them yet.
I've gone to Plusnet for the Broadband speed and they report 1800 kb/s download and 230 Kb/s upload speed which should be enough. Skype including video works on my pc  in Bangkok with a speed rangiing from about 8Kb/s and at times even reaching 40 Kb/s.
All I want Plusnet for is to be able to communicate with my mother while I'm in Bangkok and for her to be able to see me and the kids while we're talking.
johpal
Grafter

OK, I can see why you may want to use Skype, but MSN et al offer 'video chats', that I have cheerfully used for yonks from the UK to my Canadian in-laws, without problems. My connection speeds are circa 1Mbps down, 380 kbps up. Nothing spectacular.
paxy
Grafter

I have tried Skype video as well - but I have always had better success with MSN messenger for video.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if it was Tuesday this week, you are not yet up to full speed, it can take up to 10 days
jmshuff

To paxy and johpal,
Thanks for the MSN suggestion.
I use it and it works much better and more consistently than skype.