Fixes: 1

sjphone and webcam

Can a webcam be used with sjphone?
Regards......
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: sjphone and webcam

Sjphone is getting 'a bit long in the tooth' now. Not sure if it ever handled video but I would suggest trying X-Lite4.
Simon_M
Grafter

They may well do, but unfortunately the server Gradwell (& thus Plusnet) uses to pass the information doesn't.
In theory, the SIP protocol should make this irrelevant, as it should only be used to set up the call & once set up all data, including the video feed, should go direct from your phone to the other party. However, to avoid problems with NAT routers & firewalls, Gradwell use an outbound proxy, which means everything, including the call data, does go via them.
It's a compromise - you get a far more reliable service, but for now, no video. I do expect that to change in the not too distant future though, given various hints from Gradwell about future developments.
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks MisterW and Simon.
Your explanation, Simon, has cleared my mind on the issue.  I am very satisfied with the Gradwell VoIP, both for reliability and quality.  I use it with a 'phone adapter enabling either the Home Phone or the VoIP service to be selected at the ordinary house handsets....my wife would never accept a computer-based alternative and I wouldn't want to compromise the splendid service for any visual facility!
A couple of the grand-kids want a picture to go with the voice.  I use Skype currently, however, I'd prefer to use PlusNet facilities whenever I can as they usually offer more reliable, practical and professional solutions!
Regards and thank you again.....Noel
puddy
Grafter

Hi
You could register at http://www.draytel.org and set up a free voip account if you put £10 you can get to choose a free std code but if you dont use it unlike orbtalk you dont lose the £10 in 90 days time.
You could also try http://www.sipgate.co.uk the only problem with this site is most old routers wont register the account.  I had this issue with my SpeedTouch 716wl but it worked fine on my new Draytek 2710.  I think both site's allow video calls
puddy
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks Puddy.
.....Noel