Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sip.plus.net or sip2.plus.net?

puddy
Grafter

sip.plus.net or sip2.plus.net?

I have now been told its safe to go back to using sip.plus.net
Instead of using sip2.plus.net
I have been using sip.plus.net for over a week now without any loss of connection on any of my phones (listed below) No incoming calls have gone to voice mail and the phone (s)all still ring on incoming calls
Puddy
6 REPLIES
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Re: sip.plus.net or sip2.plus.net?

Both hostnames point to the same place and have done for a while now:
C:\Documents and Settings\Marion>nslookup sip.plus.net
Server:  ptn-cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    sip.plus.net
Addresses:  79.135.125.154, 79.135.125.155

C:\Documents and Settings\Marion>nslookup sip2.plus.net
Server:  ptn-cdns02.plus.net
Address:  212.159.6.10
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    sip2.plus.net
Addresses:  79.135.125.154, 79.135.125.155

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

Bob thats not the case
All of my voip phones only worked with sip2.plus.net until advice given from Gradwell last week who stated "sip.plus.net should now work. He stated that we want to turn off sip2.plus.net soon.
Bob the link you keep posting  here is not correct 
I have been getting replies like yours which suggest they all point to the same thing, even though they look like they do their a bug in the software system which stopped you registering your router or it keeps logging off after a couple hours
Its only its only been running 10 days  and not as bob suggested ages.
puddy

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: puddy
All of my voip phones only worked with sip2.plus.net until advice given from Gradwell last week who stated "sip.plus.net should now work. He stated that we want to turn off sip2.plus.net soon.

You may be right. I'm not all that active in the VoIP forum. All I know is that I've never had problems irrespective of the server address I've used. Having said that I don't use the service all that frequently. I fail to see the benefit of us turning off sip2.plus.net. There's no harm in leaving it as it is I would have thought.
Bob the link you keep posting  here is not correct 
I have been getting replies like yours which suggest they all point to the same thing, even though they look like they do their a bug in the software system which stopped you registering your router or it keeps logging off after a couple hours.

They do point to the same place. That can't be argued. The above nslookup clearly shows this to be the case. You may well be right that some aspect of the SIP registration relied on the domain being in a particular format however I'm not overly au fait with the underlying technicalities to be honest.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bob
I fail to see the benefit of us turning off sip2.plus.net. There's no harm in leaving it as it is I would have thought. 

sip2.plus.net was only to be used for beta testing only. So theirs no point using it now the old voip system is dead so gradwell want to train us to go back to sip.plus.net
Quote from: Bob
They do point to the same place. That can't be argued. The above nslookup clearly shows this to be the case

I was responsible for advising people to use sip2.plus.net on the forum because we were unable to get our equipment to work this is where you got your insert saying it all pointed to the same server
sip.plus.net should be working fine  now I have been testing sip.plus.net for gradwell for over a week without a problem
Puddy
teldanet
Grafter

Just swapped over to sip.plus.net and spent half an hour on three calls.  Perfect
petergradwell
Grafter

Hi
In our system, one domain is the "master" and one is an alias. We are in the process of making sip.plus.net the master.
This has little effect for most things, except for some oddities in the dial plan logic and the way some phones handle the sip domain, but it's all pretty minor.
e.g. if the phone thinks it is on user@sip2.plus.net, but it gets a call routed to user@sip.plus.net, some phones have gotten confused and rejected the calls.
Therefore, longer term, we want everyone to use sip.plus.net.
(this will also match the plusnet documentation, which is using sip.plus.net.)
cheers
peter