cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pre-configured VoIP hardware

RichSmol
Grafter

pre-configured VoIP hardware

Thought i'd get this poll going in our Broadband Phone forums as it seems this forum is more than busy enough to help drive the business case for pre-configured hardware to be supplied on signup and to existing customers who wish to purchase IP Telephony. If theres enough interest then i dont see why we cant start a trial to see how the processes hold up:
Initial thoughts are:
Siemens DECT handsets
Grandstream devices
Snoms
Would love to hear your thoughts!
26 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: pre-configured VoIP hardware

Honestly thought that there might be more of interest in some decent hardware, preconfigured so all you have to do is plug it in. Suppose this is probably more suited to Businesses who want to buy more than 1 phone and take advantage of the presence management features over multiple extensions.
Fixes: 101

I think for me the issue of shelling out money for something I'm not sure how it will perform etc is the issue.
Probably a long shot, but if PN could provide a loan / test / try before you buy kit so people could see how well it worked at home then you might get more punters.
It seemed to work ok on my N95 (before it died), so I'm really interested in making more use of it but don't really want to shell out the cash if I don't like.
Will Moderate For Thanks
RichSmol
Grafter

I couldnt agree more - unfortunately, due to the price of these units (decent IPTelephony is a bit pricy) we can only do an internal trial at the moment. Our Business Support team is currently playing around with them and i'll try and get a full review of each item into this thread.
RichSmol
Grafter

The Gradwell store links below are probably a good price guide at the moment....
http://store.gradwell.com/desktop_2
&
http://store.gradwell.com/cordless
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I also thought there might be more of interest in some decent hardware, preconfigured so all you have to do is plug it in. I guess it depends on whether you want to use voip seriously or are just experimenting.
Once I had decided that voip was useful and that I could make serious use of my included minutes I found that a hardware solution was the only sensible option. I think that when going the hardware route maybe people research it a bit better and understand the configuration issues. Certainly a majority of the queries on the forum seem to be with people trying to set up softphones rather than ATA hardware. Maybe once people realise the usefulness of voip but the limitations of the softphones they may start to look at hardware.
RichSmol
Grafter

yeh - the good thing about preconfigured hardware is that you know that you wont have any setup issues. Some people waste a whole weekend trying to get things up and running. Suppose if we can guarantee that all you have to do is plug it in and start making calls then the discussion becomes a lot more interesting (and we will guarantee that if we sell them!)
puddy
Grafter

Now plusnet offer home phone and voip services the siemens range dect ip phone offer great quality
So you could sell them so you can have 2 devices in 1 and offer slave handsets too
If Tesco can sell them so can plusnet but please dont lock them to plusnet otherwise nobody will buy them
puddy
ps thought your BT masters would force plusnet to offer BT homehub
RichSmol
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
Now plusnet offer home phone and voip services the siemens range dect ip phone offer great quality
So you could sell them so you can have 2 devices in 1 and offer slave handsets too
If Tesco can sell them so can plusnet but please dont lock them to plusnet otherwise nobody will buy them
ps thought your BT masters would force plusnet to offer BT homehub

Thats where we'd like to be, offering a voip service and PSTN backup using a plusnet HomePhone product. We've never really spent much time on the BT homehub discussion because we are able to differentiate from BT otherwise we kinda operate in the same space and essentially become BT. Its inevitable that we need to offer a device which encompasses VoIP & PSTN and brand it in such a way that makes it distinctive from BT.
RichSmol
Grafter

havent really got the kind of response i was after!? would anyone see the value in having an option within trials.plus.net to view and purchase hardware? We have pricing signed off and a manual process defined so i'd like to do some initial tests now then move into a sort of soft launch through the trials.plus.net pages once its solid. Any takers?

Grandstream GXP2000
http://www.gradwell.com/g/GXP2000.pdf
Price: £76.36
+ P&P / preconfig cost: £8

SNOM 300 with Power-Over-ethernet
http://www.gradwell.com/g/Snom300.pdf
Price: £95.16

SNOM 360
http://www.gradwell.com/g/Snom360.pdf
Price: £182.11

Siemens S685 DECT Phone
http://www.gradwell.com/g/S685.pdf
Price: £105.74
All pricing inc-vat, units take 2-3 working days to get to you!
Fixes: 101

Very tempting just a bit out of my price bracket..
Will Moderate For Thanks
puddy
Grafter

You know i put forward the siemens ip dect phone as a 2 in 1 device just thought a much more cheaper option  a speedtouch 780 router or newer version
Web
Wireless
Home phone
and
Voip
device all in one for about £40 -£50
Great device to offer new customer and loyal customers
Puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

i'm resurrecting this thread as i still believe that some people are willing to pay slightly more for the pre-configure'ness provided by Gradwell - surely plugging the unit in and it working vs wasting a weekend and going insane is worth something!?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Rich,
Have you looked at the latest low cost Siemens IP DECT Phones
http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_160891_rArNrNrNrN,00.html
The A580 provides most of the functionality of the S685 except for an answer machine. I believe there is an A585 with an answer machine.
I think a lot of people like the idea of the Siemens IP phone and maybe these could bring the price down to something interesting. BTW Sipgate are selling the A580 at £59.
puddy
Grafter

Rich these voip phones are to dear for me to buy.  I wrote a thread on how to get started with voip from £free to £15.
Tesco do the siemens phone a lot cheaper than what's offered from above
My BT bill 4 or 5  years ago use to be £80 now its £29.90 for line rental  and calls for 2 lines plus most mobile phones get free minutes all day now.  In the last 12 years I have never paid line rental on my mobile phones (cash back)
I have just become a sky customer and you get free calls all day and to 19 International countries included for a small fee, but I still have line rental with BT.
I like voip because it gives me a free line when the other is being used but with free mobile calls and free landline calls will their be any takers?
puddy