Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

message response for unobtainable Voip calls

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

message response for unobtainable Voip calls

I find that on calling an incorrect number (from number transposition or from inaccurate info) the Gradwell VoIP response is the engaged tone.
A similar call on the landline responds with the spoken  "this number is unobtainable."
The use of the engaged tone can result in many calls being attempted, time wasted and blood-pressure raised into the red zone!
Any chance of a mod?
Regards....Noel
10 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: message response for unobtainable Voip calls

Are you sure that it's an engaged tone? I thought it was number unobtainable tone. They are different.
fotobits
Rising Star

Ah now then, no I'm not sure, itsme!  I believe that it was the engaged tone and I didn't know there was a different number unobtainable tone.
Next time I'm sure I've got the engaged tone, I'll dial an incorrect number and see if there's a difference.
Maybe someone else knows....otherwise thanks for the comment, itsme.
Regards.....Noel
Adie:quote
itsme
Grafter

Easy to test, leave your home phone of the hook and ring it to get the engage tone. then replace your home number 01 or 02 with say 05 and this should give you the other tone.
fotobits
Rising Star

Thanks, itsme.  However, not quite so easy!
My home 'phones (4) are connected to an adapter which in turn is connected to the router/broadband and also to the landline.
If I disconnect the landline from the adapter and ring my landline number, using the VoIP (default setting) of the handset,  I hear the normal ringing tone, however, of course the other phone's don't ring out!
Regards.....Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

I have raised the query with Gradwell and they have kindly responded :-
".......this is just how sip and voip return the unobtainable message.  We cannot return the same message as the PSTN, this is just how it is....... "
and
......"unfortunately we cannot change this, ........sip/voip cannot handle a different tone."
So at least we have the answer and the SIP/VoIP "unobtainable" will continue to be same as the PSTN "engaged!"
Regards.....Noel
itsme
Grafter

Are you sure they are the same. They sound different to me and I have no problem recognising whether the line is engaged or that I have dialled an incorrect number and getting a tone that inform me of that fact.
paxy
Grafter

I seem to get the same tone for both engaged and unobtainable using my Grandstream 2020.
itsme
Grafter

I'm even more confused now! Just tried my mobile that support VoIP and I agree that the tone for engage and unobtainable number are the same. But, with my VoIP/PSTN adapter these tones are different. So is it the adapter changing the tones that is sent down the line. I now with same adapters you can specify the tones.
itsme
Grafter

Just had another thought. Perhaps my adapter generate the tones locally from the SIP error codes.
paxy
Grafter

The Grandstream 2020 does seem to have a plave in the admin screens to set the tones.  However, there is one for Busy but nothing obvious for unobtainable?!