Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how many Incoming calls per line

puddy
Grafter

how many Incoming calls per line

as most of you know I have more than one  ip phone
I found if you have more than 1 voip phone if you answer 1 phone and then you getting an incoming call on an other phone thats not in use at the time that phone will ring, so how calls per line can you get?
Puddy
speedtouch 718wl v5
Siemens gigaset 460 dect ip
Grandstream 2000
Linksys PAP2-NA
15 REPLIES
mcgurka
Grafter

Re: how many Incoming calls per line

This is actually pretty interesting, I had wondered this myself, how many inbound channels can you have on one number?
Im guessing its going to be limited by bandwidth more than anything else. Unless gradwell specify how many calls can route?
pcoventry
Grafter

I always thought it was just one in action at any one time. Although the software will take multiple accounts. I would be keen to learn the answer to this too.
mcgurka
Grafter

Yes, i have a few numbers with sipgate, and you can have 1 call active on the sip number, and my asterisk box will still accept any more incomming calls, and do with them what i tell it to, so my only limit is the bandwidth of the connection.
pcoventry
Grafter

Nice  Grin
mcgurka
Grafter

Yes, it is indeed! Now I just need to know if the gradwell connection will allow me to do the same!
RichSmol
Grafter

The current single line accounts all trial users are on, only support upto a maximum of 2 concurrent calls. The sip platform is not 100% reliable when dealing with multiple registrations across devices but we hope to move all trial users to a new sip platform which will enable greater resilience in this area (hopefully by mid-Feb).
Obviously, there is a greater wholesale cost for Centrex (multiline) accounts which we havent factored into the trial yet. We will be looking at offering these types of accounts but at this moment in time we're concentrating on delivering the residential single line type solution.
puddy
Grafter

I only have the one account and I don't have asterisk box but i found this happened by accident I was making a call on the siemens 460ip and the grandstream ip started ringing while the call was in progress
Next question
If I took my voip phone with my settings and plugged it in to my friends router next door (he's with plusnet) would it ring in his house ?
puddy
Equipment in use
Grandstream gxp 2000
Siemens 460ip dect phone
mcgurka
Grafter

I would say that it would. Voip is location (and provider) independant. Ive had my voip acc running on Plusnet / Griffin and Telewest without any problems.
prichardson
Grafter

I concur, the VoIP trial works fantasticly from South Africa for that matter.
It's provider independant and if it works, is more to do with the local setup and what the provider allows, than anything to do with the VoIP trial.
puddy
Grafter

so if my grandstream phone got UK settings and you take it to South Africa and you dial a UK number is it a local call i.e uk to uk?
I know Tesco voip user can do this thats why the sell their USB phones in pairs.  Shame because tesco voice qualilty was very poor! Grin
puddy
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Yes puddy, that's one of the great things about VOIP.
Phil
puddy
Grafter

how does it know where in the world you are?
so I can take it anywhere just plug it in to a router and it will work even if you do not connect via plusnet?
Puddy
Community Veteran

yep
Your box holds all the information it needs.
You just plug that into any internet connection, and you have your VoIP number available at your side.
Clever stuff Wink
B.
prichardson
Grafter

It doesn't know where you are. Well, not true, there are ways and means to detect this, but there is no need to.
It is more to do with the market to which the product was sold to.
For example, our VOIP service is sold to and intended to be for UK users. Because the Internet is a World Wide Wonder (take a few drinks and try saying it), you can connect from anywhere and dial as if you were sitting at home.
However, if I purchased a South African VOIP service for example, I would be diaing number as if the source call was in SA. So if I came back to the UK and could connect, I would effectively be making International calls, just to speak to the UK.
It may be a simpler concept to think about a VPN connection.
No matter were you are in the world, connecting to a VPN would treat your computer as a locally connected device.