cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can you swap the home phone number to the voip system

clarkey

can you swap the home phone number to the voip system

Hi all,
We have recently joined plusnet for broadband and phone and have just signed up for broadband phone. Is there anyway to move our home telephone number onto the broadband phone number and obtain a new number for our house (PSTN) telephone at all.
The only reason I ask is that I occassionaly work from home and everyone has my house number to call me on. What I want to do is to use the voip system for my 'work' calls and get another number for our private use on the home phone. That way the wife won't nag me when I get calls from work on our private line :-) and I can selectively choose to 'ignore' calls to the voip phone when I am not on call etc.
I don't mind if this is a chargeable service, if it restores peace and quiet in my house  Wink
Thanks
Clarkey
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: can you swap the home phone number to the voip system

Hi there,
I'm not actually sure if we could do that, though if we could it certainly wouldn't be easy or fast. If you've been issued a VoIP number could you pass that to your work colleagues to use instead of your landline? We can renumber the landline with minimum difficulty to stop the work related calls coming through (though that would cost £35.85), it's the move of that number to the VoIP service that I don't think is possible.
Hope that helps,
itsme
Grafter

I'm not sure about swapping numbers but you can port your BT number to Gradwell (PN VoIP supplier) and I have always assume that BT will issue a new number for the landline. PN users have done it before but sometime ago.
This is Gradwell Guide to fill in the form http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/article.php?id=5 But could not find the form so probably PN have to provide this for you.
Community Veteran

Also, bear in mind that renumbering the land line will probably end up ceasing the broadband...
clarkey

Hi
I'm not too worried about swapping numbers (voip to PSTN and vice versa), what I would like to do is move my current PSTN number onto VOIP and then have a new number allocated to my PSTN line. (my line is rented through PLUSNET and I get fibre broadband).
Could I port my PSTN number onto VOIP and then let plusnet (my line provider) supply me with a new telephone number for my main line.
Would broadband be affected by a number change (in particular fibre broadband)?
zpeterk
Grafter

I ported one of my pstn numbers to VOIP but the processes ceased that line, which is what I wanted to achieve.
I would not use PN VOIP if my business relied on the phone service, it is proving too unreliable.