cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

broadband phone newbie...

stewarta13wsb
Grafter

broadband phone newbie...

I'm changing from BBYW option 1 to 3 and notice I'll soon get 240 free minutes.... what do I need, what do I install, and is it just like making a normal call?
Sorry they are such obvious questions but I've never used it or bothered to read about it in the past Embarrassed
31 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: broadband phone newbie...

There are various ways to do this in terms of software and hardware, and you will get lot's of good advice on diferent options.
This is how I use the plusnet free VIOP minutes.
I have a phone like this
Plusnet recommend SJPhone software and you can download from here
Set up details for SJPhone are here
It is just like a normal call. The sound quality is very good.
When you set your account up you also get a new local number for people to call you on too!
There is a lot good info if you read through this forum. If you get stuck or need more help just shout.
puddy
Grafter

The phone you have been  shown above is for skype! plusnet voip is not a skype you can use any mic and headphones with the software phone but to get started try a linksys pap2 na adapter from ebay but dont pay over £20.
Unlike the software phone you dont need to leave the computer on all the time with the linksys pap2 to make or receive calls just your router and you can plug any old BT phone in to linksys adaptor.
Theirs plenty of help here if you need any advice
Puddy
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Huh I've ordered this - IPEVO FREE1 VOIP and Skype Compatible Internet Telephone - is it the right type or not??  Undecided
puddy
Grafter

this will not work with plusnet voip service all it will do is allow you to use it as a mic and headphone for software phones you will need to leave your computer on all the time to make and receive calls.
If you want you can return it to the supplier under distance selling act unopened within 7 days
Plusnet is not skype compatable its sip voip service

puddy
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
The phone you have been  shown above is for skype! plusnet voip is not a skype ~snip~

This phone is not just for skype I use it for all my voice applications.
Stewart, the Ipevo phone will work fine on plusnet voip, I use it every day. You can use it on Skype, Live messenger, Nonoh and Yahoo voice too!
itsme
Grafter

I would go with puddy's suggestion and send back the voip phone as this is a usb device and you will have to have your PC running. If you are using a router with spare ethernet ports then a ATA like the linksys or the Camrivox devices sold by Gradwell are a much better option as these work independently from a PC.
Community Veteran

Of course some people just want a simple solution.
If you go the other way for linksys pap2 etc you get the situation from this thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66923.0.html
Nice simple set up for a Newbie (OP)
Quote from: puddy
UK Settings for Linksys PAP2 Device

Line Enable:  yes
sip port :5060
proxy :sip.plus.net                  Register: Yes
Make Call Without Reg: No       Register Expires: 3600
Ans Call Without Reg  :  No
Display Name: sip  id number    User ID: sip id number
Password: sip password           Use Auth ID: Yes
Auth ID: sip id number
Audio Configuration
Preferred Codec:G7LLu            Silence Supp Enable: no
Use Pref Codec Only:No           FAX CED Detect Enable:No
DTMF Tx Method: INFO
Line 1  Advance Settings
Proxy and Registration 
Outbound Proxy:nat.plus.net:5082
save settings
United Kingdom Regional Settings
Dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(*/0/1+2)
Ring back: 400@-20,450@-20;*(.4/.2/1+2,.4/2/1+2)
Busy tone: 400@-20;10(.375/.375/1)
Reorder tone: 400@-20;10(*/0/1)
SIT 1 tone: 950@-16,1400@-16,1800@-16;20(.330/0/1,.330/0/2,.330/0/3,0/1/0)
MWI dial tone: 350@-19,440@-22;10(.75/.75/1+2)
CWT1 cadence: 30(.1/2)
CWT2 cadence: 30(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/5)
CWT frequency: 400@-10
Ring 1 cadence: 60(.4/.2,.4/2)
Ring 2 cadence (BT Call Sign): 60(1/2)
Ring 3 cadence (BT Ring Back): 60(.25/.25,.25/.25,.25/1.75)
Ring 4 cadence: 60(.4/ .8 close commer if i do it I get a smiley face
Ring 5 cadence: 60(2/4)
Time Zone: GMT
FXS Port Impedance: 370+620||310nF
Caller ID Method: ETSI FSK With PR(UK)
Daylight Saving Rule: start=3/-1/7/2:0:0;end=10/-1/7/2:0:0;save=1:0:
UK dial plan
this will change problems when dialing number
( *x. | **x. | 0xxx xxx xxx. | 186 xxx xxxx | [1-8]xx | [1-8]xxx | [1-9]xx xxxx | 00 xxxxx x. | 141 0 x. | 1470 0 x. )

puddy

which leads to this
Quote from: Valencia
Well its two days on and I'm getting nowhere, after setting up as per config not only didn't it work, but now I have lost my Tel LED on the PAP2.
I did a factory reset on the PAP2 and did it all again, still no joy, I can't get a ringtone or LED, even used another test phone.
I think the easiest way is to use a USB sip phone.

nuff said
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

OK, got the phone, downloaded the software from the link (although it was for XP and I'm on Vista??) so installed it while I wait for the email from PlusNet. But I keep getting the 'windows problem' window and it shuts SJ1.65 down Angry
The phone came with a disc - do I need that as well as the software I downloaded from the link?
Community Veteran

the Vista drivers are  here if you need them.
I never used the disk, just the downloaded driver which is for Skype settings mainly.
Install the driver and you get the Ipevo folder in your programs menu. Open that and you get a simple set up window.
When you do set up SJphone, plug your phone in first and then set the audio to "free-1 USB phone" as per attached screenshot for mine. If you would prefer the pc speaker to ring when you get a call, set Ringing to your system default.
I have used this device on vista machines simply as just plug and play.
Post back if you have any more problems.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Of course some people just want a simple solution.
If you go the other way for linksys pap2 etc you get the situation from this thread
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,66923.0.html
nuff said

We are trying to help the user you listed get is pap2 working one failure out of 100+ is very good.
The handset you recommended is a skype compatable usb device that needs a software to get it working.  Plusnet voip is not skype compatable.  All the usb handset will do is basically operate as microphone and headphone.
In addition with your recommeded handset you will need to leave your computer on to make and receive calls.
You state because my setup list so long its not easy to use, most of the settings only need to be checked all you need to setup are its proxy port outbound port account number and password.
puddy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: stewarta13wsb
But I keep getting the 'windows problem' window and it shuts SJ1.65 down Angry

So its easy to use?

just the downloaded driver which is for Skype settings mainly.
I have used this device on vista machines simply as just plug and play.

All I am trying to say is we all have setup problems now and again
but please note plusnet voip service is not skype compatable and skype hardware should not be used
puddy
Community Veteran

AS I mentioned I use various voice applications with the USB phone.
Like the OP I wanted to make use of the free 240 minutes on Plusnet VOIP.
So I used the the Ipevo phone. I don't understand why you are saying it is not compatible and it should not be used.
It works for me, it takes 6 mouse clicks to set up in SJPhone and I use it every day for both incoming amd outgoing calls.
Are you suggesting I need to set up a linksys pap2 just to use the Plusnet VOIP?
puddy
Grafter

Are you suggesting I need to set up a linksys pap2 just to use the Plusnet VOIP?

What I am saying is that plusnet voip service is not skype compatable service and you should not use skype hardware with it.
you can plug any mic and headset with the sjphone software and that's all your device is doing.
You cannot make calls using skype logo equipment  "hardware" your using software.
But if you want to choose hardware for plusnet voip service you would need a device that plugs in to your router i.e grandstream ,linksys,cisco,siemens etc
puddy
stewarta13wsb
Grafter

Still waiting for email from PlusNet but in the mean time I've installed the Vista drivers, thanks, and am ready to re-install the sjphone stuff. If I have the audio set as your screen shot, all sounds go through the phone (i.e. computer sounds as well as phone sounds) how do I sort that?