cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on voip hardware

hack101

advice on voip hardware

I run a small business setup. We currently have two incoming analogue lines, both with DSL (PlusNet and Orange) connected to the office LAN via a load balancer. Incoming voice calls are via an 0870 number which is routed to one of the analogue lines. The main outgoing phone is connected to the VOIP port of an Orange LiveBox and the analogue connection is for an outgoing fax (incoming fax is via PlusNet). I'm reasonably happy with the setup except for the use of one of the analogue lines to make outgoing calls when the VOIP line is busy. This is costing £100+ per quarter in call charges. I'd like to put a simple pbx in place that could use PlusNet's SIP service and force all outbound calls via a VOIP connection.
Does anyone have advice on simple/cheap ways of achieving this?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: advice on voip hardware

My guess is that you might want to take a look at something like 'Asterix' ( now called Trixbox ) I think.
I'm no expert on those I'm afraid but there are a couple of people here on the forum who use it.
Hopefully they will come along and offer some more advice.
hack101

Thanks for the advice. I've used Asterisk before for a 'pure' SIP implementation. The challenge here is the FXO & FXS ports that I would have to build into a server (or purchase in an appliance) which bump the price up.  I was hoping there would be one of those magic appliances that seem to come out of Hong Kong at silly prices, but I can't find one.
After a bit of research, I'm currently leaning towards an interim solution of a Zyxel 2002L ATA to sit on the dsl line that's the cause of the extra cost. That way I could force outbound calls via SIP while being transparent for the incoming calls.
Any views?
puddy
Grafter

Would a siemens dect voip phone be helpful with a couple of slave handsets, that way you could still make outgoing voip calls on the handsets that are not in use at the time and only take 1 voip router port up
I dont know how trixbox works so cannot pass on any info on etheir
puddy
Community Veteran

I'm not completely clear what you are try to achieve but if you think that the Zyxel will do it then ( as Puddy suggests )
have a look at the Siemens DECT IP phones.
You can connect one landline, and have up to six voip accounts registered on the base unit.
You can determine how outgoing calls are routed in a number of ways:-
By selection from the handset , voip or landline
By suffixing the number with #n , 0 for landline 1 for 1st voip account , 2 for 2nd etc
By using a dial plan defining number ranges and which connection should be used.
Might that help ...

Community Veteran

If I understand correctly you currently use the Orange voip service for most of your outgoing calls but sometimes, when its busy, have to fall back on the analogue line connected to the Orange livebox. What I think you wish to do is be able to use both the Orange & Plusnet voip services for outgoing calls , am I correct ?
Assuming you get an ATA with FXO & FXS ports ( and the ability to select PSTN or Voip for outgoing calls ) you could connect your phone to the ATA, register the ATA voip to Plusnet, and  then connect its FXO port to the Orange livebox. That way voip calls from the ATA would go via PlusNet and then if you selected PSTN from the ATA it would still use the Orange voip.
It would probably be much simpler if you can configure the orange voip connection into the ATA ( since it will support mutiple sip connections ) but I guess thats a No No with Orange!
From my look at the Zyxel manual it would seem that it might be suitable. Although any ATA with a FXO port as well FXS ports ( and the ability to select for outgoing calls ) should do the job.
Hope that helps.
hack101

Thanks, yes that's helpful. The bit that's missing is the handling of incoming calls to the analogue line. The zyxel has 1 FXO port which I will be using for the existing analogue line. The siemens idea looks good as you can have 3 simultaneous calls of any mix of pstn and SIP so I can force outbound via SIP. If we don't use the Orange SIP, it's no big deal. I think I'll take a month or so with the zyxel then review the user experience and maybe look at putting the gigaset solution in later this year.
Thanks for all the responses. Let's close this thread.
Community Veteran

The siemens idea looks good as you can have 3 simultaneous calls of any mix of pstn and SIP

Not quite , you can have 3 simultaneous calls BUT only one can be PSTN.