Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel router query

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Zyxel router query

I connect my PC and my phone adapter, a Zyxel P-2002L, to the ADSL service via a Zyxel P-660H-D1 router.  Sometimes, rarely, a second PC is connected to the router.
Whilst all services operate, I think the SIP voice quality is not 100%.
I do not understand the router's Bandwidth Management section and wondered if I applied recommended settings, the quality might improve.
Can anyone help me with these settings?
If they are relevant, my current connection bandwidths are :-
Router synch...8128/448
IP profile...7150
IP connection...7000
Actual download 6400-6600
The values are reasonably consistent.
Regards and thanks....Noel
9 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: Zyxel router query

We do have a problem with some of the SIP peerings at the moment -
is it all SIP numbers which are causing issues?
Is there any particular provider which is seeing the issue?
What dial format are you using to reach these SIP addresses?
I cant imagine that the bandwidth management settings will be causing any issues as we will ultimately prioritise the voip traffic over our network anyway.
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks, Rich.  I was only contacting PSTN numbers.  However, the problem has now gone and in my router I have set bandwidth priorities to be VoIP: high, e-mail: medium and www: low.
However, referring to....
Quote from: RichSmol
.....we will ultimately prioritise the voip traffic over our network anyway.

....recently, I carried out SIP-to-SIP tests with Forum member Scott (scottiedog), who uses the same type of adapter as I, Zycel P-2002L.
Initially, Scott's voice-quality was poor quality, although I understand that mine was good.
Later, Scott's voice-quality changed to good, concurrent with the termination of a long file-download on Scott's machine.
If PlusNet gives top priority to VoIP traffic, how is this occurrence explained?
Did the outgoing VoIP packets become corrupted by unwanted frequencies at the sending-PC/Router level, ie before getting to the PlusNet server?
Regards and thanks....Noel
RichSmol
Grafter

Its difficult to say, obviously depends on the time the call was made, the state of our own network at the time (no traffic is 100% guaranteed even if we prioritise it at the top - although there has not been any evidence of us dropping titanium traffic), the firmware in your hardware or even the state of the ajoining networks used by telcos to route the call to the given destination.
To be able to do proper analysis we would have to monitor the traffic from end to end and put a trace on the call. If you would like to do this then send me a PM and we can do a bit more work on this for you and agree on a time to make a call but we havent had any other reports of packets being lost which have ended up being down to our own traffic management policies.
fotobits
Rising Star

Thank you for your comments and the offer, Rich, I appeciate them very much.  However, unless I experience any actual problems affecting the day-to-day use of the connection any further action would be a misuse of your time.
Having persevered with the Broadband phone for so long, I'm delighted with the Bradwell-VoIP service and having switched my landline to Home phone at the same time, I find that the two offerings sit together superbly.
A really great effort by PlusNet.
Regards.....Noel
Ianwild
Grafter

I would suspect the call quality problem was an upstream, rather than a downstream QoS issue. It depends how the file was being downloaded, but bear in mind that our traffic management solution can only tag and control the packets coming into your router, not the ones coming out.
Do we know if Scott's router has a QoS option for outbound Voip traffic?
Ian
scottiedog
Dabbler

Hi Ian
I have a Linksys WAG200g Router with QOS
Settings as Follows:
Firmware Version: 1.01.06 

Setup Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway WAG200G 

SET UP
Basic Setup 

Internet Setup     
Internet Connection Type  Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA 

VC Settings  Multiplexing:   VC
Qos Type:   UBR
Pcr Rate: {left Blank}    cps   
Scr Rate: {left Blank}    cps   
Autodetect:   Enable   
Virtual Circuit:    VPI 0  (Range 0~255) [default]
                    VCI 38 (Range 0~65535) [default]
DSL Modulation:     MultiMode

PPPoA Settings
Username:  xxxxxxxxx@plusdsl.net
Password:  xxxxxxxx
Connect on Demand: Max Idle Time {NOT SELECTED}
Keep Alive: Redial period 30 Seconds [SELECTED]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Optional Settings (required by some ISPs) 
Host Name:  {LEFT BLANK}
Domain Name:   {LEFT BLANK}
MTU:  Auto
Size:   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Network Setup
Router IP
Local IP Address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Network Address
Server Settings (DHCP) 
DHCP Server:  Disable {Not Enabled as PCs given static IP addresses}
DHCP Server:  .  .  . 
Starting IP Address: 192.168.1. 

Maximum Number of
DHCP Users: 
Client Lease Time:   minutes (0 means one day)
Static DNS 1:  .  .  . 
Static DNS 2:  .  .  . 
Static DNS 3:  .  .  . 
WINS:  .  .  . 
Time Settings 
Time Zone:  (GMT) Greenwich Mean Time: Dublin,Edinburgh,Lisbon,London
Time Interval : 3600 seconds

Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes. {SELECTED}
  Language:   English
===============================================================================
DDNS TAB {DISABLED}
================================================================================     
Advanced Routing TAB
Operating Mode  NAT  {ENABLED SELECTED}
Dynamic Routing RIP: {DISABLED SELECTED}
Static Routing: {none set up}
===============================================================================
Applications & Gaming
Port Range Forwarding
Application  Start   End   Protocol    IP Address
VOIP         5060 to 5061  Both         192.168.1.3 {IP of Zycel P2002L} enable
PROXY       5082 to 5082  Both        192.168.1.3 {IP of Zycel P2002L} enable
QoS - Enable
Application-based QoS

FTP                       Medium priority
HTTP                      Medium priority
Telnet                    Low priority
SMTP                      Medium priority
POP3                      High priority
Specific Port# 5060       High priority
Specific Port# 5082       High priority

+==================================================================================+
Security
Firewall    Firewall Protection - Enable
Additional Filters- Filter Proxy,Filter Cookies,Filter Java Applets,Filter ActiveX  {NONE SELECTED}
Block WAN Requests - Block Anonymous Internet Requests  {selected}
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
At the time of the test calls with Noel I had a Large CISCO IOS file downloading via Torrent. My receiving of Noel's call was ok but my transmit back to Noel was being clipped by my download, but as Ian said problem will be in the upload, and as soon as I stopped the download the call quality was ok both ways. I am fully aware that large downloads can cause clipping or problems in the upload direction, so I tend not to have anything downloading while on a voip call.
Regards
Scott
scottiedog
Dabbler

Hi Noel
Happy new year
Taken a couple of days to recover, a little bit of over indulgence.
I have replied to Ian's comment, I also have given High Priority to VOIP traffic on my router
but as Ian advises, the problem is in the upload direction. When we made the test calls I could hear you perfectly even while downloading, but you had broken receive of my speech. I was downloading via Torrent which uses a specific port, I believe if I tell my router to make torrent port low priority, then this would get least shared bandwidth and leave VOIP traffic with the most. The clipping experienced was my download bandwidth taking priority over the upload. For Normal web surfing & email download, doesn't appear to affect any transmission of voice in or out, only when large files via Torrent, Usenet, FTP and HTTP appear to affect the upload of speech. I still as a rule try and not have any downloads running while making any VOIP calls. I have also posted this email onto the forum, maybe Ian/Rich can confirm this.
Regards
Scott
Ianwild
Grafter

Torrents are notoriously aggressive when it comes to upstream connection use. Your router may be unable to perform very effective QoS due to the sheer volume of outbound TCP threads.
Do you limit the torrent upstream within your client? It may be worth setting that limit between 10 - 15kb/s and seeing if it makes a difference.
I'm certain that voip will be a driver for us to see more demand for higher upload speeds. I for one could readily use 1Mb/s upstream!
Ian
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks, Scott and Ian for your useful comments.
Glad you've recovered, Scott!
I can understand the growing desire for a wider upload bandwidth, however, I assume that your proposal, Scott and/or Ian's proposed change will cure the problem we experienced.  I suppose the issue is likely to dog VoIP users as not everyone will set up their routers adequately.
Regards....Noel