cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Call Has Been Barred

Community Veteran

Your Call Has Been Barred

I wonder if anyone can help with this. I've raised a question (#58927264) but the response time is 26 hours. I've also tried to phone but there is a 35 minute wait - not good !!
We've just returned from holiday to find that we can't make any Broadband Phone calls. Incoming calls are working ok. When we try and make a call we get the message "Your call has been barred, please contact your current provider". I have 240 free minutes remaining and £4.60 of credit. I've tried rebooting my router but this has made no difference.
Thanks - Bob
29 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Your Call Has Been Barred

Ditto - also just got back from a fortnight's holiday and only just tried to make a call as a result of seeing your post.
I'm on Anytime and am unable to call an 020 number.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran

Sorted it!
Log in to your VoIP control panel. It will then tell you that recent calls have been barred. Click the n calls link. Click the edit link beside one of the barred calls listed. At the bottom under recently barred IPs you can re-enable and save the change.
Community Veteran

Yes I noticed this but I’ve never had to enter anything in that part of the control panel before so I’m a bit reluctant to change things without understanding what’s going on. I have 2 barred IPs now because I rebooted my router (see screenshot).
Edit, it's the same screenshot - I don't know why it uploaded twice.
Community Veteran

I don't remember seeing IP ACL in the menu on the left before. I'm suspecting something has changed without us being told.
In the top section where yours says No rules defined I have 80.229.0.0/18 with a scope of global. I'm on a fixed IP so I can sort mine out properly, but it's not going to be fun for anyone on a dynamic IP if they have to go through this every time they get a new IP!
Community Veteran

Yes, I'm on dynamic IP so it would be a pain. As you say something must have changed - I guess we'll have to wait until tomorrow for someone at PlusNet to pick this up.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

It would have been nice to be informed of this ( by PlusNet ) wouldn't it chaps!.
Found a bit about it on the gradwell site here http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/article.php?id=438
It looks like there is an 'allow any IP option' which would make it the same as before.
Without that its going to be a pain to make calls when away from home.
My account seems to be ok since I'm on a static IP like Jelv. Strangely mine has 80.229.224.0/19 defined as global which is different to yours Jelv.
Community Veteran

I've just deleted my existing entry and added my fixed IP.
Fixes: 101

Thanks for this thread, away at the moment and my voip suddenly stopped working.
Selected allow all ips and is now fixed :-)
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I don't use mine much but was setting up my new router (br hh2) and forgot the settings so went to the control panel and noticed the new setting and reset it to anywhere, as I occasionally use it via my mobile/wifi connection.
Is it just me that finds the new control panel a PITA to navigate in, nothing seems logically thought out in it. (Loaded in FF 14)
If you click the headers (like calls) nowt loads you have to click the sub heading to see anything.
pnf
Grafter

Something has definitely changed, all of my outgoing calls are barred too!
prichardson
Grafter

Quick message for you all, yes something has changed.
Our upstream provider Gradwell has had to introduce some anti-fraud measures. Rather than block requests platform wide from suspicious sources, connections to each account have a set of rules.
I am still getting to the core of this and will be investigating further, as there is very clear scope for further problems. However the system is setup to have perform learning of your connections over the past 2 weeks (trying to locate the specific 2 week period this means). It will automatically have whitelisted the IP you connected from and the rest of the IP range it covers.
For static IP customers, there should be no problems. However, dynamic IP customers may have difficulty were they reconnect to a different range of IPs we use, but Gradwell have not previously seen a connection from you on this.
Other occasions you may see this is when you are abroad, or when you are using VoIP on your mobile device over WiFi or 3G.
In the time being, you can control the access control lists for your own account as described. We can add a global whitelist for your account, though this is not recommended were you want to protect your account from fraudulent use.
Community Veteran

Quote from: P
For static IP customers, there should be no problems.

There was for me!
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Jelv,
Whilst I am awaiting the specific details, it does sound like you have been away for the 2 weeks they conducted monitoring.
As above, we are looking at our options for this.
prichardson
Grafter

A brief overview of what is currently in place.
Any new customer has a learning period applied for a two weeks from account creation. During this time, calls can be made from any IP.
Existing customers had a learning period applied for upto one month.
In the learning period, it would learn the IPs that customers clients/devices performed a SIP registration from. It would then locate the netblock this IP applied to and whitelisted the entire netblock.
This is a specific problem for dynamic IP customers where they may not have connected via all of our netblocks in the learning period.
It is also recognised that a number of mobile clients (like mobile phones with built in SIP clients) do not perform SIP registration to make a call. Any calls from such a client will not register on the whitelist.
I am starting discussion to see if we can whitelist all of our ADSL IP ranges to resolve this problem.
It is unlikely we will be able to resolve this for customers that use their connections from abroad, WiFi hotspots or 3G. These anti-fraud measures will be working as intended in these circumstances and the wide variety of IPs there connection can originate from.
Customers will be able to manage their access control lists themselves and even see any IPs that have attempted calls that should not have. If a customer is going away, they can temporary allow connections from any IP for their extension and would be recommended to remove this exemption on their return.