cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite Lo-volume calling out

papasworld

X-Lite Lo-volume calling out

Hi, total newbie to the world of VoiP here but I thought I'd take advantage of the free minutes with my PlusNet broadband account.
Downloaded X-Lite and after finding the settings on the PlusNet help pages were actually wrong, I was able to make a call.
However, the recipient of the call complained about the volume of my voice.  It was very low and despite playing around with the mic settings, I couldn't seem to make any difference.  Am I missing something?  My gear is not very good - maybe it's that?  I've got a pretty cheap Trust microphone plugged into the microphone socket - should I be thinking about getting a more expensive USB type one?  Or should I go for a dedicated handset?  I don't want to spend a lot of money only to find it's wasted because it's currently the best quality I can get.  Am I wrong in expecting to make phone-quality calls through my computer?  Is it really worth all this hassle just for the sake of 240 free minutes a month?  Is X-Lite the right software for the job?    (Because it seems to be pretty ropey and very complicated for something I thought would be a simple job)
Thanks in advance
Mark
3 REPLIES
pcoventry
Grafter

Re: X-Lite Lo-volume calling out

Hi Mark, Welcome to the forums,
In which way are they wrong?. I use X-Lite version 2 and a fairly cheap and nasty headset yet i have no problem with incoming or outgoing volume
We have 2 systems, one in house which is currently called Broadband Phone. But we also have a trial of a better system from a company called Gradwell. As far as i know there are still places for people to join the trial. You can get the information and signup at http://trials.plus.net - and you'll get the same minutes as on your account already but seperate.

Pete
papasworld

Hi Pete
Thanks for replying.
Well, the recipient (my mum actually!) said my voice was very low.  There's a little volume slider on the side of the X-Lite screen and it didn't seem to matter how high it was.  Sorry I can't be more specific.  It's version 3 - maybe I need v2?
I've got a feeling it may be the microphone because I could only hear my mum if I'd got the speakerphone on.  Maybe it would be better with a USB headset?
I'll see if I can get on the trial - it's worth a try.
Thanks
Mark
pcoventry
Grafter

Hi Mark,
I've been using version 2 as it's been rock solid and given no issues. Rich did suggest I use version 3 but I've not got round to it yet.  I'll install version 3 now and have a look.