cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite 4: which codecs should be enabled?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

X-Lite 4: which codecs should be enabled?

By default it has BroadVoice-32, G711 aLaw and G711 uLaw enabled. There are a number of others available, are there any I should look for and enable (or any of the enabled ones I should disable)?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: X-Lite 4: which codecs should be enabled?

jelv,
I assume its for use with PlusNet voip.
There's a gradwell setup guide for x-lite 4 here http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/article.php?id=180 but it doesn't mention anything about codecs. The X-lite 3 guide is here http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/article.php?id=55 and that mentions enabling only G711u if there are audio problems.
If you are experiencing audio problems such as one way audio, X-Lite maybe trying to negogiate an incorrect codec. This can be resolved by selecting Options, Advanced, Audio Codecs and just ensuring that G711 uLaw is listed in the enabled codecs window

I'm using X-Lite 3 with the same default codec list as for X-Lite 4 and it works fine.
HTH
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Thanks. I'd been to both those places on gradwell. What I didn't know was what codecs were in x-lite 3 and whether the defaults had changed in version 4 so your post was very helpful.
I did try version 3 a while ago, but I've now a new PC and went for the latest version - I like the interface a lot better than the earlier versions and I had absolutely no trouble setting it up.
The one thing I have had a problem with is that an incoming call sometimes takes a long time to ring on the PC, by the time it did and I answered it had gone to voicemail. Not sure what that is down to yet.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

I suppose that could possibly be a codec issue.
I think the supported codec list will be sent with the SIP INVITE message , and so if there is any trouble with negotiating a suitable codec between the two parties then it might delay the response ( and ringing ) from XLite.
Might be worth trying just G711a & u and seeing if it makes any difference.
If not then X-Lite3 had a pretty good diagnostic log facility with will record all the sip traffic, I assume Xlite4 has something similar.