cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow....Now have working voip

mystery
Grafter

Wow....Now have working voip

Well after trying for a month to get my Siemens Gigaset S450IP working on Plusnet broadband phone without any luck, I can now say that after taking the plunge and signing with the voip beta trial, I now have a working broadband phone.
The handset registered almost instantaniously and have made outgoing calls no problem. I have yet to receive incoming calls, but will keep my fingers crosssed that I have a usable service.  What a shame I've been in limbo for a month with no offer of a discount on subscription for being unable to access all services!!!! :-(
Just one question.......... The 0845 number available on normal broadband phone expired if not used for a month. Can anyone tell me if this is the same for the 01/02 number on the beta trial, or is this now my number however often it's used?!!
Also, my son has not yet moved to the voip trial. Is it still possible to call him voip to voip as his no is *****@sip.plus.net  and I am ******@sip2.plus.net  Can I still just dial his sip number and get the call free of charge?!
Thanks guys.........
Mystery x
7 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: Wow....Now have working voip

Always a pleasure to learn that we have happy trialists  Grin
The 01/02 number attached to your account is actually a requirement for the account to exist so if you get rid of the PSTN number (which you cant do for obvious reasons) you'll actually kill the account. For this reason we cant actually remove your DDI number. Obviously, if customers are not using the account (this is a post trial plan) then we will have to remove the service but the time frame/usage is yet to be defined. As a ball-park figure I would think that you would have to make at least 2mins worth of outbound calls per month in order to keep the account active. TBC.
Yes, you can ring your son by using the url instead of the account number. i.e. ******@sip.plus.net - dailling the account number on its own will not work as the platforms are unrelated. For other sip2 platform users - if you dial the geo number that will also be classed as an on-net call.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol
Yes, you can ring your son by using the url instead of the account number. i.e. ******@sip.plus.net

So how do you dial @sip.plus.net with a phone that only accepts numbers?
dailling the account number on its own will not work as the platforms are unrelated. For other sip2 platform users - if you dial the geo number that will also be classed as an on-net call.

So if I dial my sipgate number 0870**** in full is this call free i.e sip to sip or does this come out of my free 240 allowance?
I use the following number for my sipgate call **7774484500457?? is this a free sip to sip call?

puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

If you cant actually dial the SIP url because you have a numeric handset only thats where peering agreements come into play which allow you to dial a prefix for the provider then the account number. i.e. **768<account number>.
There is a peering agreement setup from the existing platform to Gradwell (I havent tested it in a while though), but I dont think a peering agreement currently exists between Gradwell (our new platform) and our existing Broadband Phone platform.
If you want to dial any of the providers at
<a href="http://esupport.gradwell.net/esupport/new/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=194&nav=0,9">link</a>
then you need to dial the specified prefix followed by the numbering format provided in the link (can differ between providers, i.e. sipgate requires you to enter the international numbering format for the assigned number on the account, others just require you to dial the prefix then the account number
As mentioned before, trial users can dial other trial users (users who login using sip2.plus.net) by simply dialing the geographic number. No prefix is needed.
mystery
Grafter

Yes, you can ring your son by using the url instead of the account number. i.e. ******@sip.plus.net - dailling the account number on its own will not work as the platforms are unrelated. For other sip2 platform users - if you dial the geo number that will also be classed as an on-net call.

My phone only takes numbers so I wouldn't be able to put the url. So from what you said in your next post my son can contact me as there is a peering agreement setup from the existing broadband phone to gradwell, but I can't call him as no peering agreement exists from gradwell to the existing platform...................... Excuse me but that does sound ludicrous.
Update....... I have just checked the Gradwell site and it does allow free calls both from Gradwell to Plusnet and Plusnet to Gradwell users:-
Plusnet
To call gradwell customers from Plusnet free of charge dial **467 and the gradwell extension number.
To call plusnet customers from gradwell please dial **786 and the number of the Plusnet customer.

RichSmol
Grafter

To be honest with you, I havent tested the peering link between Broadband Phone and Gradwell - I have a feeling that a lot of the existing peering links are not currently in action due to the fact that support focus has turned away from the platform in favor of moving to the new Gradwell platform.
We did have a few problems with the peering agreement back to PlusNet from the Gradwell platform a couple of weeks back and a task has been raised with Gradwell to get this fixed prior to April but this is quite a way down the list at the moment i'm afraid due to the importance of fixing some of the other major issues which require developer time. Please remember that this is a trial, we do want to mirror the full product as close as possible and hope to roll out fixes each week in order to get there. I have tested the peering from Gradwell to PlusNet and I get 'timed out' messages at the moment, i'll re-raise this with Gradwell with a view to understanding whereabouts on the to-do list this item is.
cheers
Rich
puddy
Grafter

Thank you for the link and info on how to dial.
I thought the point of VoIP calls was to call sip to sip for free!
I have found plusnet have never been great at keeping the list to call other networks (sip to sip)  the current list has never been updated and is very old and out of date.  Can plusnet now look at updating this list as a priority a weekly update or monthly update would be nice?
What steps have plusnet taken to allowing/invite other networks to join with plusnet in having peering agreements with them?
Puddy
ps Can we have a spell checker on this new look site I would find it very useful Grin
RichSmol
Grafter

The peering agreements for the trial are provided by X-Connect and managed by Gradwell - as mentioned previously this is on the to-do list. As far as I can tell we only have problems with the following peers - I can reach echo tests and account numbers for the other accounts on the list on Gradwell's site:
AQL **275 - test successful
CallUK **285 - cant find a test number
deltathree/Iconnecthere **333 - test successful
FWD **393 - test successful
Gossiptel **467 - no longer exist
Global Village **484 - cant find a test number
IPtel **478 - failed
Internet Phone co **847 - test successful
Pipecall **365 - cant find a test number
PlusNet **768 - failed
Sipphone **747 - test successful
Sipgate **777 - test successful
VoIPfone **867 - test successful
VoIPtalk **878 - failed
3 Failed, 7 successful, 3 couldn't test
From a support perspective I would like to start concentrating efforts on the peering relationships on the trial platform as apposed to the existing Broadband Phone peers as we do not have the resource available internally to focus our efforts on fixing something which is inevitably going to be replaced.
Let me know if your having any problems with the peers I've passed as suiccessful and we'll look into it for you. Gradwell have been notified of the failed tests.
cheers
Rich