cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Port 5082 change to Standard SIP port 5060 for Production Environment?

Shaggy
Dabbler

Will Port 5082 change to Standard SIP port 5060 for Production Environment?

Hi
   Will the current Beta non-standard SIP Port 5082 be replaced with Standard SIP port 5060 for Production Environment?
  I’m using a Cisco 7960 IP Hard phone and due to SIP NAT traversal issues using the embedded siproxd daemon running on my Belkin router, unfortunately I am unable to modify the default listen port for the beta port 5082 in the siproxd.conf so I cannot amend the registration port from 5060 to 5082.
  Not really an issue now, but if the Beta goes Live with the same port I and maybe many others with similar embedded SIP Outbound Proxies won’t be able to use the service.
  Look forward to your thoughts.
  Thanks Shaggy
4 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Will Port 5082 change to Standard SIP port 5060 for Production Environment?

The listening port is 5060,  5082 is an outbound port.
[quote=Gradwell]Cisco Products

Port Type            Number              Service
UDP                        53                  DNS PORT 
UDP                      3478                STUN SERVER COMMUNICATIONS 
UDP                      5060/61            SIP COMMUNICATIONS (plus custom ports)
UDP                        5082              SIP COMMUNICATIONS (OUTBOUND PROXY)
UDP                16384 to 32768    RTP,RTCP,VOICE

So will it be a problem?
petergradwell
Grafter

Hi
I've not come across some one with hardcoded ports before - perhaps it would be better if you got the cisco phone to register directly with us, and not the belkin sip proxy?
In our experience, one of the main benefits of using 5082 is that it avoids any mangling routers/firewalls may do to the sip traffic on the standard port, so we've not got an intention to change it.
that said, if your router is doing the NAT translation, perhaps you can just not use the nat proxy setting, and simply have it register on sip2.plus.net?
cheers
peter
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: petergradwell

that said, if your router is doing the NAT translation, perhaps you can just not use the nat proxy setting, and simply have it register on sip2.plus.net?

Thanks Peter, that's just answered a question I was about to ask - how to register from my Intertex IX-67 router/SIP proxy/server.  Answer - no need to fill in the outbound proxy because the IX-67 is doing the NAT translation itself. (At least - that's the answer if I've understood the problem correctly  Undecided )
As a trial, I registered directly from my eyeBeam client behind the IX-67 both with the outbound proxy set to nat.plus.net:5082 & with it left blank. Both seem to work fine, suggesting that my IX-67 is handling the NAT translation without any help from the Plusnet/Gradwell proxy. If I set the outbound proxy in eyeBeam, then the IX-67 is bypassed & it has no knowledge of the registration. If I leave it blank, then the eyeBeam does show up as a client on the IX-67 proxy.
Finally, I went back to my normal setup, with my eyeBeam registering with it's local, internal username on my IX-67 & asked the IX-67 to register my Plusnet username on sip2.plus.net & that works fine. The importance of all that is that the IX-67 has no facility to enter an outbound proxy when it registers on behalf of a client & of course it has no need to, because it handles that functionality itself.
The only slight problem I have at the moment is that the call takes some seconds to stabilise, with considerable distortion & volume fluctuation for the first few seconds.
To relate back to Shaggy's question, my experience with the IX-67 would suggest that both of your suggested solutions should work in that situation.
Simon
Shaggy
Dabbler

Hi Peter
            Just got it working...
  Configured the Cisco 7960 to register with sip2.plus.net port 5082 using the outbound proxy of nat.plus.net port 5082, sipproxd is enabled with a listen port of 5082.
  Thanks for your help..
  Cheers Shaggy