cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who uses Plusnet phones - for international calls?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Who uses Plusnet phones - for international calls?

Hi,
I'm new  PlusNet customer using their business option 3 service. I was surprised to see how expensive their international call tariffs are compared with Skype and other VOIP telephony services. In many cases it is five times or more than what is easily available?
Do many people here use PlusNet VOIP for their business calls?  What is call quality like?
Regards,
Alaric
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
3 REPLIES
Simon_M
Grafter

Re: Who uses Plusnet phones - for international calls?

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Do many people here use PlusNet VOIP for their business calls?  What is call quality like?

We use Gradwell over a Plusnet connection, which amounts to much the same thing (Plusnet VoIP is a Gradwell white label product).
Subject to your local equipment, quality is fine. VoIP to VoIP calls (internal calls between ourselves) are better than landline calls. These are not internal in the traditional sense - we are scattered all over the UK, which is one of the reasons we use VoIP - we get all the facilities of a local PBX no matter where we happen to be calling from (including my mobile office, otherwise known as a VW camper van). The quality of a landline call is set by the landline you are talking to rather than the VoIP end.
You don't quite get the (now) rock solid reliability that landline offers these days (how things have changed!), but we haven't had any serious problems. As soon as you have staff in more than one location, the advantages of VoIP become overwhelming.
knowdice
Grafter

As above we also use Gradwell over the Plusnet network.
International calls can be slightly variable quality wise, it depends on the service provider at the far end.
We did have problems with calls to Spain and Gradwell gave us some code to force a different provider at the far end.
puddy
Grafter

I have no problem calling or receiving voip to voip calls to Spain and they are free.
You say calls from Plusnet are expensive just think how much a mobile call to Spain would cost.
I use a nokia N95 to make calls and anywhere you take that phone in the world it still thinks it a UK phone.  Go to a bar club shop cities cafe that offers free internet access and you can make a sip to sip call whether you’re in Bristol Spain or Brazil its free.
If anyone calls your voip number in the UK it will come out of their free call allowance even if you are in Brazil Mexico or your local MacDonald’s you don’t pay for an incoming call the party calling you don’t need to dial international codes and they don’t even need to know where you are, plus no roaming charges
If you’re in Spain you can still make free calls out of your allowance back to the UK no international codes no roaming cost
It’s a lot cheaper than a mobile phone.
I have just brought 3 Nokia N900 and can make video to video voip calls only problem Plusnet voip won’t carry video calls but my other network does and its free
Puddy