Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When on call other person can hear their voice repeated back to themselves

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

When on call other person can hear their voice repeated back to themselves

Hi there
When i use my VoIP some people say when they are talking they can hear their voice  echoing/repeated back to themselves,
i use my pc speakers and a good quality logitech usb mic. At my end everything is crystal clear and i do not have the same problem. When i am using the VoIP i do not have any other programs running.
When i call the  same  number from my landline the problem is not there, any ideas Smiley
Regards
Mike
Mike
6 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Re: When on call other person can hear their voice repeated back to themselves

To be honest, I occasionally suffer the same when calling someone's mobile (from a landline). On other's I can hear myself talking.
Does it happen often?
Superuser
Superuser

Yes unfortunately James , i changed the sound card , but that did not help
Mike
itsme
Grafter

I would suggest using headphones and switching off the PC speakers to see if the problem is with feedback from the speakers to the mic.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Which softphone are you using ? some are better at echo cancellation than others.
Here is a pretty good explantion of the causes of echo http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Causes+of+Echo
I had exactly the same problem as you when I used the voip functions on my 2700HGV router. Sometimes it was acceptable and other times it was totally unusable. I changed to using a Siemens Gigaset C475 dual phone and I dont have the problem anymore.
The amount of echo will depend on latency and how good the hardware/software is at cancelling the echo.
As Jameseh says it sometimes happens when calling mobiles , again because you have the potential for latency when transitioning between PSTN and the mobile network.
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks itsme that was the cause of the problem ,
Mike
itsme
Grafter

The next step if you want to use the speakers, as MisterW has mentioned, is look for the echo cancellation in the software that you are using.