cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What phone/hardware do I need, where does it plug in??

kevandali

What phone/hardware do I need, where does it plug in??

Hi Everyone, I will keep this (non technical) minly because I haven't a clue  Smiley
My plusnet account is set up, the broadband is working ok, the new SJphone is working via a temporary headset and finally I am just waiting for my home phone to be switched over by BT.
I would like to continue to use the broadband phone but actually plug a phone in so I can use it like my normal home phone.
I am not sure exactly what I need and I can't see a spare connection on my D-Link router where a phone might plug in. It has got one DSL socket and then 4 Lan sockets marked 1 to 4, and that\s it.
I have looked on Ebay and found phones that say VOIP/Skype but not sure if this is what I want?
Do I get a phone with a usb connection and then plug it into the computer?
Can I get something that will allow me to plug into the router so I can turn the computer off?
If I get an actual broadband phone, could I use this with Skype? (use Skype occasionally with the headset)
So many questions and not sure where I am heading
Any info greatly received
Kev
7 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: What phone/hardware do I need, where does it plug in??

Hi,
you've basically got 5 options..
1. Buy an adapter that allows you to plug a PSTN into your router using a spare ethernet port - examples here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96
2. Buy a pure VoIP phone that will plug into a spare ethernet port on your router (£40+)
3. Buy a VoIP / PSTN phone that plugs into your ethernet port and / or your PSTN phone socket such as the Siemens Gigaset IP range.
4. Buy a new router that you can plug a phone into.
5. Use a Wi-Fi mobile that has SIP software such as the Nokia N95
While you ponder those people with more knowledge will post some more advice  Smiley
EDIT: Point 3 said phone point twice instead of ethernet / phone..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

An excellent overview of the options by Adiewoo...
I have looked on Ebay and found phones that say VOIP/Skype but not sure if this is what I want?

Be careful with USB phones that say voip/Skype compatible , some will ONLY work with Skype.
Take a look at my post on this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73603.0.html regarding USB phones.
Can I get something that will allow me to plug into the router so I can turn the computer off?

Yes and if you are going to use it seriously then this is perhaps the best option. If you are starting from scratch and dont have a spare phone handset then I would recommend the Siemens IP range as suggested by Adiewoo.
The thread linked to above has some references to the A580IP and the C475IP. Both of these provide a DECT phone which can be used on both your landline and voip ( and at the same time if you get the multiple handset version ). If you already have a spare handset then a cheap adapter ( ATA ) into which you plug a phone is an option, although ones which can also connect to your landline are almost as expensive as the Siemens IP phones.
If I get an actual broadband phone, could I use this with Skype? (use Skype occasionally with the headset)

No, ATA,s and IP phones are not compatible with Skype.
Hope that helps.
Shout up with any more questions ( I'm sure there will be ! )

kevandali

Thanks for all the advice, the Siemens IP range seems to be the answer but I still have only one DSL connection on my router and 4 Lan connections. As the DSL connection links the router with the filter that connects to the BT connection where do I actually plug the phone into?

Hope this is clear?
Cheers
Kev
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

See Adiewoo's post above - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73701.msg584023.html#msg584023 and use the LAN socket
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Thanks for all the advice, the Siemens IP range seems to be the answer but I still have only one DSL connection on my router and 4 Lan connections. As the DSL connection links the router with the filter that connects to the BT connection where do I actually plug the phone into?

I think the question might be a little more subtle than that Oldjim. The Siemens phones are dual landline and voip, so they have two connections. One, a BT style plug for the landline, goes into the 'Phone' side of your DSL filter, and two, an ethernet ( RJ45 ) connection, which ( As Jim ) says goes into a spare LAN port on your router.
Hope that makes it clear.
If you wish to look at the Siemens phone manuals you can download them from the Siemens Gigaset site here http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_121533_rArNrNrNrN,00.html.

puddy
Grafter

Plusnet voip service is not Skype compatible
With  the Siemens Dect range of voip phones, speedtouch 716wl router or Grandstream voip phones allow you to make and receive calls without your computer being on but you do need to keep your router on which it really should be 24 hours a day.
if you have kids the Siemens range of Dect (cordless) ip* phones with slave handsets would be great because you can make and receive more than 1 voip call at a time (but only 1 Bt call)  These are so easy to use even my partner can use it (check your pm I sent you) they have long battery life and are well made, I have dropped the more than once.  when you need to change the batteries 6 or 7 years down the line pop the back case off and pop in 2 AA rechargeable batteries
I use to recommend Linksys pap2 adapters but a few people have reported problems with them not working I believe this may be because sellers in HongKong are selling counterfeit goods if it states unlocked forever don’t buy them please.
Have a look too on Grandstream web page for a small office type of voip phone from £40 inc vat plugs straight in to a lan port on your router http://www.grandstream.co.uk all routers have one dsl socket are you getting them mixed up with 4 ports on the rear?

Regards
Puddy
*= make sure it has dect ip in the product code
Community Veteran

Quote from: kevandali

Yes you can do that if you want to
Quote from: kevandali
Yes if it is Skype compatible