cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best USB Sip phone

Valencia
Grafter

What is the best USB Sip phone

I know this question must have been asked lots before, but I just want a USB Sip phone that will plug into the PC beside me.
I don't want to change my landline phone,or use an ATA.    SO    whats a reasonable make and model.
12 REPLIES
RichSmol
Grafter

Re: What is the best USB Sip phone

If i was you i'd go for a router or ATA which is always on and doesnt rely on the power of your USB port - I hated the fact that I had a USB phone connected to a PC which had a noisy fan (which i never got round to changing) so had to turn it off at night (it was in my bedroom).
Im now using a 2wire 2700HGV (Business Hub) which allows me to put any normal DECT handset directly into the back of the router and has now completely replaced my pstn line for good. Initially i went for one of these but it just wasnt practical.....
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?TabID=1&ModuleNo=47494&doy=22m7
Theres a lot of Siemens DECT users on this forum as well and seems to be a popular option.
petermaughan
Grafter

Hi,
If you are prepared to consider non-USB phones and have a wireless router then I can recommend the "Pirelli: DualPhone DP-L10".  It is available here:
http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/special_offers ; for £69 plus postage.
I bought one.  It was not locked to sipgate but configured easily to PlusNet's Gradwell VoIP.  When at home or in the office it is a cordless VoIP phone.  When out of the house it's a GSM mobile (you have to buy a SIM card from a mobile provider to get the GSM side working but it only cost about £6 for a pay-as-you go SIM card ordered online from Vodafone).
Peter
Valencia
Grafter

Sorry guys, but I only want a USB device, the laptop I use is super quiet.
Community Veteran

I have a couple of these Ipevo Black USB VoIP Phone Also comes in white.
I like them because they are nice and compact for putting in my bag when I am travelling.
The sound quality is excellent and they work on all my voice applications.
It allows independent use of phone and sound card allows for calls while listening to music on your laptop (Unlike some usb phones and headsets).
Note: I have seen a cheaper version that looks like this but I am not sure it has all the features of the Ipevo brand.
I hope this helps you.
Valencia
Grafter

Santiago, I just looked up your link. They seem to suit my needs OK
Thanks
Community Veteran

You're welcome
Neo
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
I have a couple of these Ipevo Black USB VoIP Phone Also comes in white.
Do they work with VoIP providers other than Skype? When considering the similar Freecom phone, I always thought it was Skype only (or at least more difficult to configure with another provider with the programmable buttons etc).
Community Veteran

Yes they do, The Ipevo phones are "Skype Certified" but as I said earlier they work in all my voice applications. I use Skype, Yahoo, Messenger Live and Nonoh.
I also use them on SJPhone for my plusnet VOIP. I recently set up EKiga softphone and the Ipevo phone worked on that too. (Can't work out the configuration for Ekiga softphone though!). I just have the Ipevo phone plugged in and use it for everything
The phone is plug and play but comes with an installation disc which is out of date so I threw it away and downloaded the latest driver. Installed the drivers on each machine and you can swap the phone from machine to machine dead easy.
I am not sure of the specs on the freecom phone. The spec says it doesn't use the sound card but I believe the earlier Freecom models did.
I hope that helps
Neo
Grafter

Thanks for the info, Santiago Wink
Community Veteran

You're welcome. Happy shopping Smiley
puddy
Grafter

To be honest all you need is a£1.99  mic and earplugs if you go down the usb road and you will need to make sure to keep the computer to make or receive calls.  Any skype handset or track down an old tesco usb handset should not cost the earth.
Why don't you want to try a linksys pap-2 adaptor?  They are much better and easier to setup for a round £15 no need to keep the computer on and you can plug in a normal BT handset you have spare. 
It won't upset your current landline service if you worried about that, or cost any extra and its better quality. 

puddy
Valencia
Grafter

Puddy, thanks for the info, I looked up the pap2 on the Linksys site and I must admit it does save a lot of trouble.
I also looked up one of your earlier posts and ordered a "unlocked forever" version from HK.