cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are the true costs of Broadband Phone?

nottsjohn

What are the true costs of Broadband Phone?

I am interested in Broadband Phone but don't understand the practicalities of using it. I know what it does, and how it works, but:-
(1) Can I use the mike in my webcam, or do I have to buy a headset or phone
(2) Cost of calls. In addition to the cost per minute is there a "call set up fee" per call, and is any rental paid?
Any advice or tips gratefully accepted
John
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: What are the true costs of Broadband Phone?

Hi John, to answer your questions:
1. As far as I know you should be able to use the microphone in your webcam - I'm not sure what the quality will be like though. When I started out I used a cheap headset and there were no problems with that.
2. I am on an inclusive minutes package but I think it's the same for PAYG. There are no call set up fees and as far as I know there is no rental (over and above your ordinary line rental and broadband charges).
Hope this helps - Bob
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

1) Can I use the mike in my webcam, or do I have to buy a headset or phone

Yes you can use the mic in the webcam BUT you will probably suffer from echo due to feedback from the speakers to the mic. If you're going to use it other than very occasionally I would suggest getting a headset or a USB phone like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Voiceserve-Phone-Support-Skype-voiceserve-net/dp/B000CDIS54/ref=sr_1_11?ie=U.... Be careful with any choice of USB phone though, some will ONLY work with Skype. If you're going to use it really seriously then think about getting an ATA or SIP phone ( £30-70 ).
is there a "call set up fee" per call, and is any rental paid?

I think Bob's already answered that...
nottsjohn

Thanks for the advice chaps
John
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: nottsjohn
I am interested in Broadband Phone but don't understand the practicalities of using it. I know what it does, and how it works, but:-
(1) Can I use the mike in my webcam, or do I have to buy a headset or phone
(2) Cost of calls. In addition to the cost per minute is there a "call set up fee" per call, and is any rental
John

If you use your webcam you will not be able to make or receive VoIP calls without your computer being left on all the time plus the voice quality not very good.  Plusnet VoIP is not Skype compatible
You don’t need to spend lots of money you could replace your router with a speedtouch 716wl router for 99p on eBay its wireless 4ports adsl 2 + and has 2 VoIP ports that you could plug in an old BT phone into. You can make and receive VoIP calls without leaving the computer on with this device
Certain types of Nokia mobile phones will allow you to make and receive VoIP calls so if you have got one upgrading could be free Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8gb all allow you to make VoIP calls and again no need to leave the computer on it connects via your wireless router if you have one
There’s plenty of choices out there for VoIP equipment  I prefer the Siemens Gigaset ip VoIP cordless phones if you have more than 1 handset you can make a VoIP call and the other spare handset can make or receive a BT call. or you can make or receive more than 1 VoIP call even if 1 person on a VoIP calls if an extra VoIP call comes in the spare handsets will ring.  Great if you have kids who are on the phone all the time.  You can add up to 5 handsets with 5 handset you could have 1 BT Landline number plus have 3 VoIP calls (yes 3 VoIP calls on the same VoIP number)
In addition Grandstream sell some great priced VoIP phones again no need to leave the computer on look on eBay or http://www.grandstream.co.uk

Don’t forget you can make overseas VoIP  calls a lot cheaper than using BT why ring eBay UK on a 0870 when you could dial eBay in the USA for 1p per minute
dejjones
Grafter

You don’t need to spend lots of money you could replace your router with a speedtouch 716wl router for 99p on eBay

Where on ebay is this? Best price I can see is  £29.99
puddy
Grafter

Digidave prices have gone up to £29.99 Cry
but drop me a pm if you want to find out more about the speedtouch 716wl or routers or learn more about voip calls.
Do you have a nokia e65 n82 n95 n95-8gb or n900 because you can make voip calls on them to
kind regards
puddy
dejjones
Grafter

Puddy thanks for the reply.
I have a Speedtouch 585 v6, and a Linksys SPA3102 with which I operate my Plusnet  Broadband phone.
I saw your post regarding the 99p  716WL and thought I could tidy up my computer desk for very little cost; but at £29.99, its probably not worth it.