cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WebEx VoIP dropouts

mcrossley
Grafter

WebEx VoIP dropouts

This week I am attending a Webex based remote training session. I am connecting using the Webex VoIP audio and found it keeps dropping out for 5-20 seconds every 5 minutes or so. The Webex slides continue to update during these 'gaps'.
I have the PlusNet Extra service where VoIP is supposed to be prioritised (Webex is specifically mentioned).
As a fix I have created a VPN into our corporate network, and forced the Webex to route over the VPN, and out through the corporate internet gateways to the 3rd party who is running the course. Using this connection there are no audio drop outs at all, so my connection appears to be solid (48Mpbs) and the problem is in the Plusnet QoS?

Any ideas?
Cheers
Mark
4 REPLIES
prichardson
Grafter

Re: WebEx VoIP dropouts

Hi Mark,
This does sound most odd. Given the nature of this, we may need a lengthy packet capture to be able to look into this further. Instructions on how to make the capture are on the following page.
http://community.plus.net/library/faults/using-wireshark-for-data-capture/
* Ensure that you start the capture before even loading the voice application
* Capture until after the first break in conversation, and the audio has restarted
Once you get to this point, save the capture and let us know how large it is. We will figure a way for you to get it to us after that point.
mcrossley
Grafter

OK, I'll try this tomorrow morning though as I'm in the middle of the session now. It's a shame I uninstalled WireShark from my laptop last week Sad
I ran it direct for a couple of hours this morning before switching to VPN and the failures were happening pretty consistently so hopefully the capture will not be too large - I'll kill all the apps/services I can but as it is a corporate machine there are quite a lot of 'chatty' services I cannot stop.
Mark
mcrossley
Grafter

OK, I got the instructor to play some music over the webex after the course finished for today and I reconnected without the VPN. I have two capture files.
1. Webex starting up and running for a while (13.2MB)
2. a bit later a capture with an audio dropout. (1.96MB)
How do I get these to you? I can put them on my routers FTP server and give you a login?
prichardson
Grafter

Hi Mark,
That would be ideal. If you can send me a Private Message with the details, that should do.
From what you describe, the second capture may not be ideal, but I will get a view of them first to see what is happening.