Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voip Beta Problem

puddy
Grafter

Voip Beta Problem

Hi Jake and bob
I have found that when I dial my new phone number(voip) the phone does not ring.
Puddy
equipment
siemens gigaset 460 ip phone and speedtouch 716wl v5 router (built in voip)
both have the same settings and both have this problem
15 REPLIES
jakejohnson
Dabbler

Re: Voip Beta Problem

Hi puddy,
It seems as if you have a conflict with your hardware. An extension can only be logged in from one device. It cannot be used on both (ie: cannot be used on Siemens when plugged into Speedtouch)
If you presumably want to use the Siemens you need to first remove the extension details from the Speedtouch, then add the outbound proxy to the Siemens; the NAT address, set it to 'always' and make sure port 5082 (instead of 5060) is open on the NAT.
Hope that helps.
Jake
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Jake
An extension can only be logged in from one device.

Seriously? Have I understood that correctly?
Are you saying that the service is limited to a single registration? So I couldn't register two handsets simultaneously? Or leave a handset registered at home & log in with a softphone from my laptop while traveling?
puddy
Grafter

i have a voip from my router (built in) and also use my siemens gigaset 460ip phone and both work and now both ring at home but I have not tried it on the road
I found that when I dialed my new voip number the phones did not ring.  This was my fault.
Yesterday my router and siemens ip phone would not accept the following
nat.plus.net
and the 5082 setting
They both accepted this and now both ring
Puddy
ps still get both the uk dial and us style tone when dialing a number
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Quote tags fixed. ]
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post - it is not needed in this situation. : link:rules
RichSmol
Grafter

Ok folks, heres where we are at on this one...
Gradwell are currently testing a new sip server (based around OpenSER) which allows users with single line accounts to enable more than a single device on a single line account (the design of a single line account does allow 2 concurrent calls but traditionally not 2 enabled devices).
The new sip server developments means that any device attached to the account will ring at the same time (you could put  devices on DND if you didnt wanted them to ring). I must repeat that this platform is being tested at the moment so its not available right now, but we will ensure that this platform is used when we deploy FRING. Watch this space...
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol
Gradwell are currently testing a new sip server (based around OpenSER)

Yes, I saw that. It's good news, because it gets round many of the limitations of Asterisk. In particular, in opens up the possibility of both Presence & Instant Messaging, both neglected areas at present, but which are the real long term benefits of a move to VoIP, rather than the short term price considerations which seem to have driven it commercially so far.
It's coincidental that it allows multiple registrations. I don't think that is a technical limitation of the current Asterisk based system, but I can see it might have been a commercial decision based on limited resource.
I'll expand on this in a new thread when I get a moment, but a properly sorted VoIP offering that includes Presence & IM will be a killer app. for any small business that operates from more than one site.
I know because we couldn't now operate the way we do without it - and we haven't got ours properly sorted yet either.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

Quote from: Simon
Quote from: Jake
An extension can only be logged in from one device.

Seriously? Have I understood that correctly?
Are you saying that the service is limited to a single registration? So I couldn't register two handsets simultaneously? Or leave a handset registered at home & log in with a softphone from my laptop while traveling?

Simultaneous logins using PlusTalk (whilst possible) was also prone to problems so I don't think anyone would be losing out on much functionality here.
Glad to hear it's being looked at though Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Products Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

medea
Grafter

Quote from: RichSmol

Gradwell are currently testing a new sip server (based around OpenSER) which allows users with single line accounts to enable more than a single device on a single line account (the design of a single line account does allow 2 concurrent calls but traditionally not 2 enabled devices).
....but we will ensure that this platform is used when we deploy FRING. Watch this space...

Is there any progress to report?
Trial service works reasonably well with a standard BT Duet phone connected to Phone port 1 on Billion 7402 VGP (haven't sorted out why my Dect phone doesn't ring when connected in the same way although it displays caller id) so that the trial service is currently not as useful as the Plustalk service because the router's Phone port 2 is unable to function reliably.
puddy
Grafter

ordinary dect phones (not siemens 465/460ip dect) have problems on most voip routers because the voltage is not high enough to make these ordinary style dect phone to ring some also have problems with poor sound  I have found my old dect BT phone had this problem too!
These phones will work better if connected to a Linksys PAP2 adapter because you may be able to change the voltage to over come this problem.
puddy
RichSmol
Grafter

Quote from: medea

Is there any progress to report?

The newsip platform is still being tested by Gradwell and as such I dont think that this platform will be ready until early Feb. At that point we will migrate all trial users to the platform (zero customer impact) and look at hopefully marvel at the new found resilience of multiple registrations.
medea
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
ordinary dect phones (not siemens 465/460ip dect) have problems on most voip routers because the voltage is not high enough to make these ordinary style dect phone to ring

I am able to change on/off hook voltages with my Billion7402VGP. Test with BT Duet suggests setting to 47/6 - works fine.
Test with Panasonic dect (KX series) suggests setting to 47/7 - no ring tone but displays caller id.
Any suggestions regarding suitable voltage settings? 
RichSmol
Grafter

I personally dont have a clue about voltage settings but this article may help:
http://esupport.gradwell.net/esupport/new/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=248
puddy
Grafter

my siemens 460ip has a frequency setting if i set it to 20 I get a us style ring tone when making a call any idea what it should be set to currently? i have set it to 12 for the uk call tone but I would like to know what it should be?
Puddy
Moderators note by James_H : Removed full quote of previous post - it is not needed in this situation. : link:rules
RichSmol
Grafter

Puddy - as per ticket discussion,
Gradwell recommend changing the local SIP port and local RTP port settings on the Siemens device to avoid ports 5060-5069 (as some models of the speedtouch router have an ALG which intercepts SIP traffic) - I would suggest a local SIP port of 5070 and RTP of 5010.
Hopefully, that makes sense and you can see where you can change RTP/local SIP port settings. If your unsure about this please get some screenshots of the device and i'll have a wade through them.
puddy
Grafter

i have stopped using the speedtouch 716wl v5 do I still need to change my settings in the siemens 460ip dect phone?
I still use the speedtouch as a router just not voip calls
puddy