Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voicemail flashing light on Gigaset handset

fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Voicemail flashing light on Gigaset handset

I have recently replaced my 7-year old VoIP hardware for a Gigaset N300 Adapter with A510H handsets.
I have set the facility to flash the mail-key light when the Network Voicemail receives a message.  However, the feature does not work and I understand that this is likely to be because the Provider does not support the function.
In fact, has anyone managed to get this voicemail indicator to work?
Regards.....
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Voicemail flashing light on Gigaset handset

I'm using X-lite softphone. It shows the tape icon when there is a new voicemail.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I recently switched to VoIP by installing a Gigaset N300A-IP adapter with C610H handsets, and so far the flashing mail button correctly indicates when the N300A-IP built in network answer phone(s), and the Plusnet 'Broadband Phone' voicemail boxes have new messages, and fetches the messages as expected.
I haven't tried setting up the equivalent voicemail for the BT 1571 service on the landline, as I am anticipating that the N300A-IP should catch the majority of missed calls.
Which of the voicemail services are you trying to configure ?
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks, Jelv and Purleigh.
Jelv  My voicemails show as Missed Calls, not as a specicfic Voicemail messages, however, I'll look at that further.  Clearly, your system identifies voicemails, so the identifying signal must be there!
Purleigh  Your system will be very similar to mine, except your's has the Base Unit which, of course, contains voicemails locally.  My voicemails are contained in the respective Network Voicemail boxes, ie in the Fixed Line voicemail (Plusnet's Home Phone) accessed by 1571 and my SIP Network Voicemail (Plusnet's VoIP) accessed by *1.
Both my Voicemail services work OK, it's just that I want to easily "see" on a handset's screen that a voicemail has been received.  A "tape" icon will do, or the flashing mail-key, which I've set up but doesn't work!
Gigaset Support say that it's likely that the Provider doesn't supply the necessary info to make the key flash....but this is not confirmed by Jelv's experience.  I've had no response from Plusnet, nor from Gradwell.
I'll try more test and setting changes, later today, however, thanks again for your info.....
Regards....Noel
Community Veteran

On the N300 web configuration, on the page -
Settings  -> Messaging  ->  MWI Light
Do you have all the tick boxes selected ?
Community Veteran

On the N300 web configuration page -
Settings  ->  Telephony  ->  Network Mailboxes
Have you set the dialing sequence for each network mailbox, and set it to "Active" in the associated tick box ?
fotobits
Rising Star

Purleigh  I have just "Network Maiboxes" ticked for MWl Light, for each of my four handsets.
Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

Quote from: purleigh
Have you set the dialing sequence for each network mailbox, and set it to "Active" in the associated tick box ?

Yes thanks, Purleigh.  My voicemails work OK.  I can access them in their respective Network Mailboxes.  It's just that I'd like an indication on each handset's screen that there is a voicemail message waiting!
Regards....Noel
Community Veteran

Have you done a firmware update on each handset, and on the N300 ?
Community Veteran

On the handset,
Settings menu -> Voice Mail  ->  Network Mailboxes ->  Net AM: IP1  ->  Status
Is the status of the VoIP network mailbox on the handset showing as "On"  ?
fotobits
Rising Star

Quote from: purleigh
Have you done a firmware update on each handset, and on the N300 ?

I don't think I have, Purleigh!  Thanks for the tip.  In the meantime, I have changed the handset's screeen setting to "idle," instead of "Screensaver."  The "idle" screen displays that a call has been received, either unanswered or a voicemail.  That'll certainly do, if there's nothing better.  I'll carry out further tests later, but now must dash!
Thanks again, though Purleigh
....Noel
Community Veteran

When you do the firmware update, be patient with it, as when you start the update and it looks like the network has died and it's all gone wrong, but just leave it and what seems like an age later, it all recovers with your previous settings.
Roll eyes
fotobits
Rising Star

Many thanks for all the reminders and suggestions, Purleigh.
I am unable to intitiate the flashing mail-key to indicate the receipt of a voicemail message.  However, I am satisfied with the alternative, ie the automatic display on the "idle" screen of the "unanswered calls" icon together with the number of messages.  This is OK for my needs, I'd like a flashing light, but perhaps only available on the N300A, mine's the N300.
I have received a response to my query with Plusnet Support and they confirm that all the necessary settings are available on my connection.
I'll perhaps review with the Gigaset Support again, but as I say, I'm happy with the status quo.
Thanks again for your and everyone else's help.
Regards......Noel
fotobits
Rising Star

Purleigh  You'll be as surprised as I to learn that by a process of trial-and-error, I have resolved the problem of my failure to get the A510H handset's MWI light to operate on receiving a voicemail message.
I had set "voicemail" for the MWI light setting for each handset in the N300 Adapter's Settings/Messenger.  Logical, I thought!
However, I went through the choices and various combinations, the setting "missed calls" initiated the operation of the MWI light!
Regards and thanks again for your suggestions......Noel