Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vodafone Sure Signal Info

puddy
Grafter

Vodafone Sure Signal Info

Hi
I have just received my free vodafone sure signal box plugged in to my router and it works fine.
I signed x 2 30 day rolling sim only contracts and did not get a 3G signal at home only 5 bar 2G signal so asked to buy the sure signal box.  It was £50 but they sent it me free
i am just wondering how the box works and how much bandwidth it takes?  Its nice to have a mobile phone signal at home for a change
Puddy
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Vodafone Sure Signal Info

i am just wondering how the box works and how much bandwidth it takes?

It's a FemtoCell see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Femtocell. It makes a VPN connection to the Vodafone server and then routes your mobile call down that. Not sure how much bandwidth it takes though, probably similar to a voip call depends on what codec(s) it uses...
puddy
Grafter

Thanks for the info it was well worth the read  I learned something today.
Vodafone gave me the box free
Kind regards
Puddy
Community Veteran

Don't forget that if it offers the best reception to your neighbours and passers by, they will also use your bandwidth.  Although a Femtocell only has a range of 10meters.  One other thing to note, is that unless your router and your ISP support QoS (I presume Plusnet) quality will fluctuate with whatever else is using your bandwidth, and also with Plusnet your quality will be subject to their traffic shaping.
prichardson
Grafter

fourfourdeven, thankfully the Suresignal requires you register your phone against your cell. iirc, you can registered upto 4 or 5 phones.
Any phones not registered will not connect to your unit, so you can be safe knowing your neighbours will not be using your unit.
puddy
Grafter

You can register up to 32 Vodafone numbers only if Vodafone approves the numbers first and you can only make 4 calls at once.
The bandwidth usage is so small it’s not worth worrying about
You have to put your postcode in but if you move you have to put your new postcode in but again it has to be approved by Vodafone
The sure signal box was free this was the deal maker and why i dropped "3"  after 6 years
Puddy