Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP phone questions

culluding
Grafter

VoIP phone questions

I was referred here from technical support, this is what I sent them:
"From what I can make out about VoIP, I will need to use the computer's speakers & microphone to make a call, or connect a USB phone. This means having the computer on to be able to receive calls, so I am wondering if my iPhone 4 with IOS5 could be set up in some way to become a VoIP phone over my home Wifi network? If not, is there some other solution, like a cordless VoIP phone? I don't want to be tied to the router or computer with a wire."
I have since tried to find a suitable cordless phone and the cheapest seems to be £199!?  I assume I use Skype on the computer to make VoIP calls. I have Skype on my iPhone, so that may work, too?
TIA
Carl.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: VoIP phone questions

have since tried to find a suitable cordless phone and the cheapest seems to be £199!

You can ceratinly get a cordless voip phone for less than £100. Either the Siemens S685IP or a N300 IP base and a handset. See here http://www.home-phones.co.uk/skype-and-voip-telephony/voip-sip-phones/siemens-gigaset-s685ip-voip-an...
Alternatively a voip ATA ( see here http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/default_ShopGroup.asp?ShopGroupID=96 ) and plug in a standard DECT base unit and handset.
I don't have an IPhone but you should be able to use it. You will need a SIP Client App for it. I've used the 3CX Sip client on Windows & Android and there is an Iphone version here http://www.3cx.com/VOIP/softphone.html or look at alternatives here http://www.voipvoip.com/iphone/
Hope that helps for starters , post back with any queries
Community Veteran

My son uses Fring on his iPhone with PlusNet VoIP. It works over Wi-Fi and also 3G.
Bob
RPMozley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

3CXPhone works perfectly well on iOS 5. I don't like the idea of using Fring as it seems rather a bad mannered app and I would guess it connects up through their third party server.
pnf
Grafter

I use Bria on an iPod Touch to make and receive VOIP calls.  It is an excellent package and works well with PlusNet VOIP.  It's not a free app but I think it is worth the £5 I paid for it.
http://www.counterpath.com/bria-iphone-edition.html ;
culluding
Grafter

Thank you all for your suggestions. Sorry for the late response, just got over a chest infection. Wasn't pleasant :-(
I don't like the look of Fring so it's going to be a toss-up between 3CXphone and Bria. I only want something basic, not interested in bells and whistles. £5 is nothing if it it allows me to use my iPhone as a home phone, so much cheaper than the £100+ options!
Would it be possible to have VoIP software on both my phone and my computer, or would that cause a conflict? I don't want to set up two VoIP accounts.
Carl.
culluding
Grafter

I can't see how I activate broadband phone. I found the following in the help area:
"""
2. Activating your Broadband Phone service
You'll need to activate your Broadband Phone service to use it. Activation can take up to two working days to complete.
To do this go to Account Details in the Member Centre and select 'Activate Broadband Phone'.
You'll be sent full details on how to complete the activation process to your registered email address.
"""
I can't see anything relating to broadband phone in my account details / member centre.
Carl.
Community Veteran

AFAIK those instructions are correct. I've just just looked at my account and I have a 'Broadband Phone' icon there ( bottom right ) when I select  Account Details.
Its a long time since I activayed my BB Phone but I would have expected you to have an 'Activate Broadband Phone' icon in the same place.
Might be best to give support a call and ask how to do it, unless one of the DC team spots this and helps out.
culluding
Grafter

I've attached a screenshot of the page I am looking at. I am logged in. Must be a problem so I will get hold of support, thank you.
Carl.
Community Veteran

Yep, I'm pretty sure you should have another Icon there, unless it's hidden somewhere in the Home Phome sub menu. I've never had Home Phone with PlusNet so I don't have that Icon.
culluding
Grafter

Tech support tells me I have a missing icon and have given my a direct link. Thanks for the help :-)

Carl.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

The icon was actually not on your account as your account type doesn't include broadband phone. We stopped adding this to residential accounts a couple of years ago. I'm not sure whether the direct link the CSC have provided will actually work or not, however if it does please note you don't receive any free credit on there as it's simply a PAYG service.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
culluding
Grafter

Perhaps you need to update your website to reflect that then. According to the help page I read at http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/introduction.shtml it states, "Broadband Phone is available to all Plusnet residential and business broadband customers. The number of inclusive minutes you get depends on what broadband account you have.".  My account type is listed in the table as supporting broadband phone (Plusnet Extra).
I have applied for broadband phone, and received a message to tell me it takes up to twenty fours hours to be activated, so I will see what happens tomorrow.
Carl.
dick:quote
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Sorry, my mistake then. I honestly thought we'd removed it from new account signups, turns out I was wrong.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

Would it be possible to have VoIP software on both my phone and my computer, or would that cause a conflict?

Just to answer that one. Yes you can. You can connect  multiple phones to the same voip account and can make up to 2 simultaneous outgoing calls.
On an incoming call, all phones will ring and the first to answer will accept the call.