Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP outbound - 10 seconds of silence

Colin1
Grafter

VoIP outbound - 10 seconds of silence

Hi
I'm new to VoIP and am setting up software VoIP - I'm actually changing my router shortly so I can use VoIP with the PC off. However ... for the time being, having got everything set up with the software - or so I thought - when I ring out on VoIP ... for the first 10 seconds of the call I hear nothing - but the other party can clearly hear me. When I receive a call to the VoIP number the silence does not happen.
I can see from past topics in this thread that this is not a new issue ... bit I'm unclear what to do to make the outbound service work satisfactorily.
I'm using Visa Home Premuim, a BT Voyager 2100 router - connected by ethernet and "Global IP" SIP software - I could not get SJPhones software to work - both ways were just silence for inbound or outbound calls. The router has IP filtering enabled but disabling it appears to make no difference. There are no ports specifically opened as far as I can tell - the software configured Vista to allow certain ports on installation. Is there any point in enabling it? According to my documentation "If your Broadband service supports NAT (Network Address Translation), then your computers are 'hidden' behind the Voyager Router and your network is therefore already protected from most common Internet attacks. In this case, rather than setting up an IP FIlter, a good quality software anti-virus and Internet security software is recommended to complement the NAT Firewall."
It may be that waiting for the router upgrade to a BT Voyager 2500v, to which I can directly connect a phone, will overcome the problem ... but having tried to set something up I like to lake it work properly ... has anyone else exoperienced this problem and found a solution?
Regards, Colin
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: VoIP outbound - 10 seconds of silence

Which version of SJPhone are you using.
I believe there is issues with the current version with Vista
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

What software are you using ? Is it the Ninja Lite ?
My guess is that your problems are softphone related.
As Santiago says there are issues with SjPhone 1.65 and Vista , we have seen some success with the earlier version ( 1.60 ).
Use the PlusNet MAc setup guide as the UI for the earlier bersion is different.
I've downloaded the manual for Ninja Lite, If it is Ninja you are using you may want to try changing the codec list as that can cause similar problems ( see here https://portal.gradwell.net/support.php/knowledgebase/view/category_id/33/article_id/302 )
Hope that helps , post back with any results.
Colin1
Grafter

Thanks for the input Santiago and MisterW.
The software I've been trying to use is Global IP Telecommunications "PC Phone" ... that's the one which is giving the 10 seconds of silence on outbound VoIP calls ... I gave up trying to get SJPhones 1.65 to work on the basis that there are loads of software phones available and another one might be easier to set up!
As an update I've downloaded Zoiper (2.18 free version) and intially it looks like there may be no issues ... further testing tonight when I get free BT calls. I have to say that Zoiper was particularly easy to configure ...
With luck I'll have a new router by the end of the weekend and can use a hardware phone directy through that. Anyone know if the "Free 4-Port wireless router" which comes with BB Option 2 has ports for a phone or qwhether the BT Voyager 2500V is better? I don't mind a 12 month stay with Plusnet requirement for the free router - I've been a F9 customer for over 10 years!
Fixes: 101

I'm using Zoiper on my mac with no issues at all and is much better than the SJPhone version for mac.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

Anyone know if the "Free 4-Port wireless router" which comes with BB Option 2 has ports for a phone or

It doesnt I'm afraid. Its a Thomson TG585v7 AFAIK
Community Veteran

You may want to check this http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,70529.0.html thread on the 2500v ( if you havent already...)
puddy
Grafter

If you wanted to buy a router for home but want to save cash have a look on ebay for a speedtouch 716wl or 780wl router they have the 2 ports for voip your looking and are 4port wireless and adsl2+ they go from about 99p plus p&p
Plusnet support them because they use to sell them
puddy
Community Veteran

I used to have the 716wl router and I wasn't that impressed with the VOIP performance with it.
I now use a linksys PAP2T with a DECT handset with the plusnet VOIP service
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Bud
I used to have the 716wl router and I wasn't that impressed with the VOIP performance with it.
I now use a linksys PAP2T with a DECT handset with the plusnet VOIP service

I found it the other way round  I have had my speedtouch since my exchange went broadband but for 99p +p&p it’s a good place to start.
I have installed a few 716wl for friends and not had any problems/bad feedback
A lot of Linksys devices these days are counterfeit so be very careful were you buy them from or have the words unlocked forever usually means stolen from the Vonage network and if you re-set it will lock itself back to Vonage.  But don’t pay over £15

puddy
Community Veteran

I purchased mine from broadband buyer and not from ebay and it was worth the approx £30 price paid.
I have came across a few of the 716wl and they all tend to fail in the end on the VOIP side I have found