cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP credit top up no longer available online

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

VoIP credit top up no longer available online

Yesterday I unexpectedly ran out of prepay credit on my VoIP account, so was unable to make any chargeable phone calls.
Using the "Support Pages" I raised the correct ticket for topping up my VoIP credit, expecting my registered credit card to be charged for the requested amount.
Instead, six hours later I get a response -
Thanks for getting in touch regarding your broadband phone service.
I have looked into your account and due to a new billing security system we have in place we will need you to call in so that our Support Team can take the payment for your VoIP top-ups from a credit or debit card. This is due to us requiring further security information from your card when we take one off payments, and is the new process for updating your VoIP credit.
For security reasons we can not accept the code we need over a question / ticket response from yourself. We are open 24/7 on the following numbers:
0800 432 0200 - Free if calling from a landline phone
0345 140 0200 - Low cost if calling from a mobile phone.

How daft is that ?
Plusnet ALREADY have my card information and use it monthly to pay my broadband fees.
Regarding security, to request the VoIP top up I had to enter my account username and password in order to raise the ticket.
This morning I wasted 29 minutes of my time, from 6:12am, waiting for the Plusnet Call Centre to answer the phone and provide all my details again,  to do something which used to take perhaps two minutes using the ticket system.
There must be a better way of processing one off credit card payments, than expecting customers to endure the long call centre wait times.
Angry
11 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: VoIP credit top up no longer available online

Paypal?
Community Veteran

I would be more than happy to make all my Plusnet payments with PayPal.
PayPal uses a verified address, which a credit card may not, so should be more secure as the Plusnet account address could be checked as matching.
PayPal can automatically use secondary payment sources (such as registered bank accounts) if the primary payment source (credit card) unexpectedly fails.  Therefore should not need the "non direct debit surcharge" to cover failed billing when paying for monthly broadband subscriptions.
PayPal gets my vote  Smiley
Plusnet Alumni (retired) chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We store your card details which we have authorisation to take the monthly payments for your subscription but not for other one-off payments, we then require the CVV number from the back of the card to process this.
I'll certainly make the alternative suggestion seen as this was a process that took you 29 minutes instead of 2.
Community Veteran

So what is the point of following the existing Member Centre links to raise a ticket if that process does not work ?
Instead of raising a ticket, why can't the existing links be altered to -
1)  add a "VoIP topup" to a shopping basket.
2)  proceed to a checkout page, where a payment method can be selected.
3)  any additional info such as CVV numbers can be entered.
4)  confirm payment.

There must be many uses for a proper shopping basket checkout for one off purchases on Plusnet,
for account changes, phone top-ups,  paying failed billing,  hardware,  etc.
It must be more effective to automate as many mundane billing procedures as possible,
rather than waste both customer and support staff time with long wait phone calls for trivial credit card payments.
I also don't see the difference between the system not allowing me to buy VoIP top up,
when it does allow me to buy a broadband data allowance top up if I exceed my monthly usage ?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

OK, I'll get a problem raised for the current member centre links to get them updated, I'll also flag the payment options up as I mentioned to see if there is alternative ways we can do this.
Community Veteran

I currently use a seperate mobile to make calls and just VoIP for my included mins because adding funds is to akward.
Podman
Community Veteran

Is there any update on alternative payment options for VoIP?
Community Veteran

I raised a support ticket (#69282036) about this, and the latest response was -
... the problem is still under investigation, and we are looking at solutions, but unfortunately we have no estimated date for repair yet. I apologise for any inconvenience in regards to this matter.

Embarrassed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

How totally ridiculous Plusnet. Paypal is the most obvious example where I've given card details and whatever payment method I choose I don't have to re-enter any card information at the point of sale/payment. Nor do I have to do anything on another account for a Continuing CC Authority where billing/payments are totally sparodic.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 159

To be honest, there are quite a lot of higher priority items on the workstack than this, the number of top-ups we have (even before this problem) means that it's not something we're going to fix as a high priority.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Thanks for the reply Chris.
@purleigh, it's a phone at midnight job when there's no CSC queue!