cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP and FTTC (Fibre Optic) - what chance / kit / pitfalls?

PNet4um
Grafter

VoIP and FTTC (Fibre Optic) - what chance / kit / pitfalls?

I have a friend who is an ex-NTL(Virgin) customer looking to switch BB supplier and is considering FTTC (Fibre) at the same time.
One thing that he knows that I enthuse about is VoIP - partly to avoid Mobile charges (especially abroad) - so that raises the questions:
1. Does Plusnet offer both VoIP and Fibre Optic in a package?
2. If they don't - is it likely to work and what are the potential problem(s)
3. He has a Smartphone (w/WiFi) capable of using Fring BUT he would probably want to have a landline OR? cordless phone plugged into a router - what sort of kit would anyone recommend? or failing that - what might work on paper?! There don't seem to be reasonably priced NON-ADSL Routers that "DO" VoIP unless I have been looking in the wrong places.
I did search the forums before posting - is there no-one contemplating this? That would be a worry in it's own right!
Just as a final thought - from memory - the BT Homehub has VoIP capability I THINK... I presume their (BT) equivalent for FTTC has the same... Is the BT Homehub locked to the BT! VoIP service and if so - what are the equivalent boxes in that scenario?
5 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: VoIP and FTTC (Fibre Optic) - what chance / kit / pitfalls?

I use voip and fibre with no problems at all.  There isn't an all in one package but you can get it as an add on.
Fring does work with the pn voip service which is provided by gradwell.
Will Moderate For Thanks
itsme
Grafter

The Fibre compatible Homehub I believe no longer support VoIP but the Business hub does. The older versions of the Business hub have a hack to configure non-BT VoIP but don't know whether it will work on the latest fibre compatible Business hub.
PNet4um
Grafter

Quote from: dvorak
I use voip and fibre with no problems at all.  There isn't an all in one package but you can get it as an add on.
Fring does work with the pn voip service which is provided by gradwell.

What hardware do you use? I was hoping to use a cheap-ish router w/WiFi and VoIP but do I need two boxes now?
Fixes: 101

I've used a couple of handsets, an old grandstream 100 which I picked up from ebay for around 20 quid before I invested in a slightly more expensive yealink tp20.
Both easy to set up and use with the service. Also had a nokia n95 and android phones working with it.
You don't necessarily need a router that has built in voip in to use the service.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Certainly not cheap but this one 'does it all': http://www.avm.de/en/Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_WLAN_7390/index.php
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.