Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP Telephone Adapter Recommendations

nking
Dabbler

VoIP Telephone Adapter Recommendations

Hi,
I am considering getting a VOIP adapter that will connect directly to my router which will then allow me to make calls (without the PC being on) either via VOIP or my landline i.e. same phone does both.
It needs to work with the PlusNet service and I have seen Zoom make a few units but I don't want to buy something that isn't  compatible with PlusNet  - It would be nice if it also worked with Skype (I know the Philips Voip841 is Skype only) but this really is a nice to have.
It would be great if PlusNet provided a list of suitable hardware but I haven't found anything so I'm looking for Users that have already got my required setup and can recommend their VOIP hardware.
Many Thanks
Neil
7 REPLIES
nking
Dabbler

Re: VoIP Telephone Adapter Recommendations

I thought I should add the hardware I thought might provide what I wanted to achieve - Zoom 5801F VoIP Telephone Adaptor with 1FXS and 1 FXO Port (inc TelePort) - Again, comments most welcomed.
itsme
Grafter

As PN voip is supplied by Gradwell have you consider buying from them? I brought the Flexor 151 from them and have be generally pleased with it. You will also receive a 10% discoiunt if you enter your extension number when ordering. The adaptor will came pre-configured for Gradwell which we require a bit of messing around to default to the manuafacturers defaults so that you can use your PN account details. You can either search this forum how to do it, post on the forum or contact Gradwell support.
puddy
Grafter

Get a Linksys pap-2 adapter from ebay for about £14  I started with one of these they are great bit of kit easy to setup if you get one and have problems with it just give me a shout.
It has 2 sip lines for more then one account I use 1 for pn and the other for sipgate.
If you have a nokia E65 N82 N95 or N95-8Gb you can use that for voip calls (3 02) vodaphone orange t-mobile my need re-programing- called de-branding
A Siemens voip phone 450 460 475 ip dect cordless phone is a good choice one handset for both landline and voip to make a landline call dial the number let go the connect button it will make a landline call or press the connect button for 3 seconds and it can make a voip call.  You can get extra handsets
All of these allow you to make or receive calls without having the computer switched on
puddy
badwolf
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
A Siemens voip phone 450 460 475 ip dect cordless phone is a good choice one handset for both landline and voip to make a landline call dial the number let go the connect button it will make a landline call or press the connect button for 3 seconds and it can make a voip call.  You can get extra handsets

Interesting... been looking at some of these but unsure of buying as all my last TA's didn't forward on the CLI of the person who's currently ringing in on the PSTN side - this was a year or so ago but have such problems been ironed out?Huh
puddy
Grafter

Some user are still reporting that CLI still does not work sometimes,  I have never had a problem with the hardware below
puddy
gah

I have a Zoom 5801 ATA working with PlusNet. I've only had it up and running for a month or two, but it's seems OK so far. I did have to get the firmware upgraded to 1.3.0B1 to get the Caller ID working - and it works on all the phones except one (a 'BT' branded one!). What is good is that you can have certain calls routed via the landline and others via VoIP - and you don't need to press any special key sequence. I went for this ATA because it supports up to 5 phones off the one port and connects to the PSTN line too.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

What is good is that you can have certain calls routed via the landline and others via VoIP - and you don't need to press any special key sequence

Puddy doesn't mention it but you can also do that with the Siemens voip phones if you are prepared to put the effort into setting up the dial plans.
Also by use of the 'default line for outgoing calls' ( which can be easily changed with a few keypresses from the handset ) combined with the dial plan you can easily optimize use of voip when its cheap, and the landline when thats cheap.