Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP phone keeps going offline

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

VOIP phone keeps going offline

Over the past 3 or so days I've been getting email reminders that my Broadband Phone account has recently gone offline. I believe the actual phone also goes down as I've seen it showing Unavailable once or twice.
Is there a problem with VOIP or is it just me?
Annie
16 REPLIES
Annie
Rising Star

Re: VOIP phone keeps going offline

No responses so far! This is still happening to me so would appreciate any input.
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

Gradwell, who supply the Plusnet VoIP service, have been having a few problems over the last few days. It hasn't been system wide, but has affected more than just the odd few people. We were seeing problems of this nature yesterday, which would coincide with yours.
Yesterday afternoon, they were aware of the problem, but hadn't managed to track down the cause. As it was intermittent & affecting a relatively small number of users, I can imagine it would be difficult to pinpoint.
As the phone usually re-registers quite quickly, it may be worth turning off these email notifications until everything settles down.
If it's still doing it next week, I would raise a support ticket.
Community Veteran

I noticed that my phone went off line once last week, on Monday 19th. It could have happened more often but I wouldn't have noticed if it was during the day. I turned the e-mail notifications off some time ago as I didn't think that they were very reliable. I'm sure that I used to get quite a few when my phone service was unaffected.
Bob
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Mine went offline on the 14th when Gradwell had their problems http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=98603 but other than that I've not had any problems or offline notifications.
Fixes: 101

Haven't gone offline in a while, even during the gradwell issues, is your whole connection dropping or just VoIP ?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Annie
Rising Star

Hi,
I didn't have any notifications over the weekend and thought the issue may have been resolved. However, I got another email at 9.13am today. I can't confirm if the actual phone went off but having checked it now, it's back on again if it did. My actual broadband connection seems to have had a momentary PPP link down at 7.23am but nothing at 9.13am.
Edit...It has gone off again at 10.48am and the phone is definitely off and still down now (11.08am).
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Annie
.It has gone off again at 10.48am and the phone is definitely off and still down now (11.08am).

That ties in with a report of a problem on the Gradwell status page, which should now be fixed. It was only live for about an hour.
If a reboot doesn't cure it, it's time for a support ticket.
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: bobboulby
I'm sure that I used to get quite a few when my phone service was unaffected.

Quite correct. They do seem to have fixed that problem though, so it's safe to turn notification back on again if it would be useful to be informed about genuine drops.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for that. I'll monitor it but it looks as though the original problem may have been addressed.
Cheers,
Annie
Annie
Annie
Rising Star

I've still been getting the odd email saying the phone is down but today the phone's been off all morning so far. Gradwell aren't reporting any problems with VOIP so I don't know what the problem is. Is anyone else having VOIP problems or is it just me?
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

I had a brief problem with registration failure around 9am, but it seemed to clear after a few minutes.
Are you still having problems?
Annie
Rising Star

Hi Simon, yes the VOIP phone is still off.
I had a reply on a support ticket saying..."I will need to look in to this further as I cannot reset the password correctly at the moment." I'm not sure what password needs to be reset. I just want the phone to get up and running. I don't want a new password so not sure what's going on.
Annie
Simon_M
Grafter

I think there are still some problems. We just lost the whole phone system for a few seconds about 15 mins ago. Phones 'de-registered', outgoing calls dropped, everything. All came back up quickly, but annoying. Internet connectivity wasn't lost, so I strongly suspect a problem at the server end & not just because that's what my phone reported.
I suspect the password reset message just meant that the agent couldn't log into your account to check it from their end. Whether that means that you will end up with a new password as a result I don't know.
Annie
Rising Star

Unfortunately, my VOIP service is still out and I can't get any reply from support. This is getting very inconvenient. Does anyone have any suggestions please?
Annie