Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP phone adapters Sipura 2100

dratddestroyer
Grafter

VOIP phone adapters Sipura 2100

Hi,
I'm looking to buy an analogue phone adapter so I can use the PlusNet VOIP service.
I've seen some unlocked Sipura 2100 VOIP FXS adapters on Fleabay and wonder if they work with PlusNet's offering?
Or perhaps someone could suggest another make and model?
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: VOIP phone adapters Sipura 2100

You might find this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,72944.0.html interesting, seems like unlocked might not actually be true  Smiley
You might want to look at the Linksys PAP2 or one on the Grandstream ATA's.
Also if you don't already have a DECT phone then take a look at the Siemens A580IP dual phone. http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-dect-phones/
Post back with any more questions.
puddy
Grafter

I agree with Mister W
Some pap2 adapters were made for Vonage and have been locked (bit like locked mobile phones). Some Linksys adapters will work until you do a full reset then they lock themselves back to the supplier.  Be very careful if buying off eBay listed from Hong Kong listers Linksys 2100 adapters may have the same problems locking themselves in different ways.
Even the US military brought counterfeit Linksys devices so be aware.
I brought some off eBay years ago and had no problems if buying one today I would give it a amiss.
Have you had a look at Grandstream phones? you can get them for about £45 for the 201 model 
Or look for a Speedtouch 716wl router eBay or amazon under £30 gives you wireless internet voip (2 ports) 4 lan ports.  I have one of these myself. Look on  eBay or amazon great if you need a new wireless router as well again ask the question are the locked 02 orange sky Tiscali etc
Have you thought of buying a second hand Nokia mobile phone?  A Nokia E65 can be picked up for less than £45
I have used the following Nokia phones for making VOIP calls E65  N95 N95-8GB and N900.
When looking on eBay or amazon look for 
1. Sim free
2. Unlocked
3. De-branded

Using a Nokia mobile allows you to make voip calls wherever you can log on to an unlocked/unprotected internet wireless signal no matter where you are in the world, your Nokia thinks it’s in the UK even if you’re in Spain on your holiday or living in Brazil.  Find an unprotected internet signal (the phone will scan/look for it) while walking along a street or if you’re in a bar that gives free wireless internet use. Plus calls come out of your free call allowance.  I get 240 free every month (depending on contract)  Friends from the UK can call you  free if they have a free call allowance or the price of UK local call on international call charges or codes to dial if they know you are logged on to a wireless signal.
To make calls back home to the UK its free if it’s another Plusnet/F9 user (voip-voip) or for the cost of a local rate in the UK or free using your free minutes. No international call charges no looking for international dialling codes just enter a normal UK std code.
My friends works for the local council in the UK and they transmit a free internet Wi-Fi signal and he can call me free using his 240 free minutes.  More & more places are offering free internet Wi-Fi in towns cities bars shopping centres fast-food outlets like McDonalds and café’s all over the world, this a reason I use Nokia mobile phones for voip calls now
I hope I have not bored you too much
Kind regards
Michael
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thank you both for your detailed replies.
I'm not trying to be a cheapskate - if it's going to cost £100 to get it working then that's fine here. Fleabay is convenient as stuff can be sent to my work address.
I'll steer clear of the unlocked Sipura I think.
I've had a look at the PAP2 and it ticks a lot of boxes.
I don't have a DECT phone, just the Panasonic Fax machine gets used for voice calls so the Gigaset is ruled out.
I tried to get my Nokia E65 working without success. Thanks to the ********** at the local shop it's now permanently locked to Orange. I haven't tried to debrand it. It's been abandoned in a drawer for years. I could give it a whirl if somebody has the patience to talk me through the procedure. I don't have any cables for the phone now.
I can't find any 716WL for sale. Lots of wired ones.
So it looks like the PAP2 is the better option. I've seen brand new ones on sale for £40 from a seller on Fleabay - he's knocked a lot of them out with good feedback so worth a go.
I'll have a go with that.
Thanks again both of you.
Edit: Just did another search on Amazon for Speedtouch on it's own and  a second hand 716WL has poped up. £30 including postage.... Bum!
Community Veteran

I'm not trying to be a cheapskate - if it's going to cost £100 to get it working then that's fine here.

If you are going to spend that sort of money then do have a good look at the Siemens Gigaset A580IP or even the C475IP which includes an answerphone facility. For £75.99 you could get a twin A580IP http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-dect-phones/siemens-a580-ip-twin or a single C475IP for £71.99 http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-dect-phones/siemens-gigaset-c475ip-dect.
There's quite a few people around this forum with them working on PlusNet voip. The big advantage is that you can use the same handset for landline and voip ( I know in theory you can do that with some ATA's if they have an FXO port but it rarely is simple to set up and operate ), and if you have multiple handsets you can make/receive more than one call at a time ( only 1 landline call though! ).
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thanks for the comments about the Gigasets MisterW.
It is tempting to get one, however I just want one handset in the broom cupboard flat and that's attached to the fax machine.
I'll see how the PAP2 goes and if it's pants I'll bite the bullet and get a Gigaset.
Community Veteran

that's attached to the fax machine.

You weren't thinking of trying fax over voip were you ?
AFAIK it doesnt work with the standard codecs, you need an ATA ( and remote fax machine ) that support T38.
puddy
Grafter

Hi
The pap2 are very very similar to the Sipura 2100 so you’re not gaining much plus it could be counterfeit.
why did you reject the speedtouch 716wl router?
If you have a nokia e65 your home and dry take it to another independent mobile repair shop they will be able to unlock it with a cable and get de-branded at the same time.  As for the settings/setup its dead simple
puddy
Community Veteran

@datdestroyer,
Might you be interested in an IP Phone ?
Someone on my other forum has some Cisco's he wants to sell
I have 2 x Cisco 7905 & 1 x Cisco 7912 IP phones available.
All are used, with a few cosmetic marks, but fully work.
They have Cisco SIP firmware installed. ( I need to check this to be sure )
Anyone want to make me an offer ?

If you, or any one else, is interested drop me a PM and I'll pass on contact details.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
that's attached to the fax machine.

You weren't thinking of trying fax over voip were you ?
AFAIK it doesnt work with the standard codecs, you need an ATA ( and remote fax machine ) that support T38.

My flat isn't much bigger than Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs.
No, I wasn't going to try VoIP with the fax machine. Only voice calls would be going over VoIP.
Quote from: puddy
The pap2 are very very similar to the Sipura 2100 so you’re not gaining much plus it could be counterfeit.

I bought the PAP2 it was available, the seller is based in the UK and had 100% feedback, has sold quite few without complaint.

I couldn't find any for sale on Fleabay or Amazon.
If you have a nokia e65 your home and dry take it to another independent mobile repair shop they will be able to unlock it with a cable and get de-branded at the same time.  As for the settings/setup its dead simple

I'm willing to try the E65, however I'd feel uncomfortable using up your time to help me... 
If you are feeling exceptionally keen or brave to help I'd like to try and get it working Puddy....
puddy
Grafter

I couldn't find any for sale on Fleabay or Amazon

Their are 2 listed today one for £49.99 and one for just under £30 inc p&p
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B000AAF69U/ref=dp_olp_refurbished?ie=UTF8&qid=1276795045&sr...
I'm willing to try the E65, however I'd feel uncomfortable using up your time to help me  
If you are feeling exceptionally keen or brave to help I'd like to try and get it working Puddy....

Yes I will give you a hand with your Nokia E65 but if its not an 02 you will need to get it unlocked made sim free (firmware) which will de brand it.  Any good independant mobile phone repair shop should be able to do it.  Stay away from the likes of CPW
Then put settings in its very simple plus username password etc.   What sort of wireless network/router do you have at home?
Regards
Puddy
dratddestroyer
Grafter

Thanks for the E65 advice Puddy.  I will try some more phone shops. Three down and plenty more to try  Smiley
As an aside, my PAP2 turned up today. New Old Stock. I followed your config instructions at http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=66923.0.
I had to change the caller ID to V23 and use outbound proxy to yes and I can see the incoming phone number on the caller ID.
Cheers.