cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP app for iPod touch

Dan_the_Van
Grafter

VOIP app for iPod touch

Can anyone recommend an iPod app which will allow me to make voip calls.
I have tried using iSIP will limited sucess, I can make out going calls but the app crashes when I answer an incoming call.
I know VOIP is working as I have X-Lite installed on my PC.
Many thanks.
Dan.
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: VOIP app for iPod touch

Quite some time ago I got Fring working on my Son's iPod Touch although it wasn't really any use as he didn't have a microphone !! http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58951.msg624200.html#new
Fring is currently working on his iPhone so I guess it should still work on the Touch.
Bob
Dan_the_Van
Grafter

Hi Bob,
Been using Skype for a while on my iPod so I thought I'd give VOIP ago.
I did try Fring but had problems setting up an account so I gave up.
Strange thing is VOIP worked fine last night with iSIP. The iPod does not make a good phone, time to buy VOIP ATA device.
Dan.
amadeus422

Hi,
I use an app called SIP Softphone from a outfit called Acrobits, I bought it for the iTouch AFTER I bought a set of head phones (the same as you get with the itouch) but they had a small mic in the cable you plug into the iTouch. It worked great, I was using is on Holiday in Menorca over the Hotel Wifi no pobs.....just go onto ebay and get the mic and headphones in white as per the normal ones. I have to say I use this all time now at airports if you have access, what I like about this app is you can record the conversation and e-mail it to yourself as a wav file......great when you are talking to the insurance company and they lie!!
When I bought a iPad 2 it also transferred over so I could use it on both devices.......
RPMozley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I've tried all the free apps available and I've found that 3CXPhone is the easiest and simplest to use for VoIP + no annoying adverts on screen.
eattheword
Grafter

Quote from: RPMozley
I've tried all the free apps available and I've found that 3CXPhone is the easiest and simplest to use for VoIP + no annoying adverts on screen.

Thanks for that tip. Just put it on my iPhone and was very impressed. It even listens for calls when the app is not running. 
Dan_the_Van
Grafter

Thanks everyone for your recommendations.
I have now installed 3CX on my PC and iPod Touch.
You have to remember to hold the iPod upside down with the display away from your head, otherwise your ear causes funny results as it touches the screen. Like with the iPhone if an incoming call is received and the app is running you get an alert for an incoming call.
Dan.