cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP and BT

steadyeddie
Dabbler

VOIP and BT

Hi folks, newbie to VOIP a bit of help please.
At our club, we currently have a BT land line, and have recently moved over to PlusNet Business Option 1, for broadband.
I am now looking at reducing the costs of outgoing calls from the BT land line.
Am I right in thinking that by purchasing an IP handset, and connecting it to a router, I can use the IP phone for out outgoing calls using the 240 free minutes, whilst still retaining our existing handset and widely publicised phone number on BT line for incoming calls.
Is this the simplest solution, or are there some other/better cost cutting options that I may have overlooked.
Regards............. 
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: VOIP and BT

Thats the way it works, you can use an IP phone or a SIP adapter to allow you to make VOIP calls (for free on the included min) and still leave the normal handset connected to the LL. I use a Thompson Speedtouch 716wl which allows me to connect up to 2 normal phones to it to make VOIP calls, separate from the LL number. (Got it off ebay for about £12 last year, but believe they are still available)
steadyeddie
Dabbler

Thanks for that Biker,
Had a quick look around for a 716WL, found a re-furbed one for £30ish, they seemed to have been replaced with a 585 model according to broadbandbuyer, around £38ish, I will check further.
Also hadn't realised that you could connect a normal handset for the VOIP side, I thought it had to be one of the VOIP ones !!, so therefore will one of my old wireless handsets be OK ?Huh
Thanks again..............
Community Veteran

Yes any "normal" phone will work, wireless,corded, or dect
itsme
Grafter

If you don't require WiFi then you can pick one up for £20 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thomson-SpeedTouch-716-Wired-VoIP-Modem-Router-/120576967050?cmd=ViewItem&pt=U...
The advantage of VoIP over a normal line is that more than one call can be made or received simultaneously. With the 716 it has to VoIP ports so plug a phone in each and 2 calls can be handled at the same time either incoming or outgoing.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: steadyeddie
Had a quick look around for a 716WL, found a re-furbed one for £30ish, they seemed to have been replaced with a 585 model according to broadbandbuyer,
Also hadn't realised that you could connect a normal handset for the VOIP side,

Have you had a look on amazon seen them on their for £25 plus p&p?  I dont think the speedtouch 585 has built in voip ports
I have a speedtouch 716wl and can vouch for them had mine in use for over 5 years now without any problems
but when looking make sure the 716wl or any other router is not locked to 02 or orange!
In addition you may need an adapter to convert a BT plug in to a US plug but they cost less than £1.50

Kind regards
Puddy
steadyeddie
Dabbler

Thanks for that guys.
Puddy re the 585. My mistake, broadbandbuyer has the 585 down as a replacement for the speedtouch 716g, not the 716wl !!, well spotted.
I will start looking for a 716wl.
Thanks again all..............
Community Veteran

If you don't need wireless I have a "spare" 716 here you can have pm me if you are interested.
steadyeddie
Dabbler

Hi Biker, I have sent you a pm, however I can't seem to see any confirmation of it being sent, can to tell me if you have received it.
Regards.........