cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Provider recommendation

AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

VOIP Provider recommendation

Plusnet have been trying to fix my VOIP connection for 5 weeks now, no closer now than they were at the start.
I'm stuck with them until my contract runs out in 5 months.
In the meantime, can anyone recommend an alternative VOIP provider?
8 REPLIES
puddy
Grafter

Re: VOIP Provider recommendation

sipgate are good
puddy
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

Thanks for that. It's just frustrating that the free 4 hours on plusnet are enough for all my landline calls in a month. I'll give them 'til the end of July and then make the switch.
danielgmartin

Try www.nonoh.net I have been using it for the last two weeks while plusnet sort out problems with my broadband phone account.
Its works fine with my SIP phone and appears to be completely free for UK 01 and 02 calls and so far compltely free for several international calls.    I am not sure how long the free calls will last but it was free to set up and free to use.
I suggest you give it a try.  If nothing else it makes an intresting alternative to Plusnet.
Community Veteran

I looked at Nonoh and found it to be strange. Yes you get free calls, I got 16 mins and then it asked me to buy credit to get more free time. When you start the process of buying credit it asks for your mobile phone number so they can sms you the verification code!
As I understand it you have to buy credit (can't see how much you need) to get 120 free days.
Only certain destinations are "free" the rest use your credit.....all seems rather flaky to me.
I like Skype and have been using it for years. I call all over the world, no problem at all. Good voice quality and cheap too. They have just started their Unlimited plans. For the UK I get unlimited UK landline calls, voicemail, call divert, an online number (can be an International number too) and skype to go, which I use for calling overseas from my mobile using local call cost.
All this for £2.24 a month.
puddy
Grafter

The wild card for free calls
Join 1899 at www.1899.com ; but its not voip when you join you just have to enter 1899 before you dial on a land line or mobile phone.  Theirs no joining fee and all UK calls 01 02 are free you just get charged a connection charge about 5p.
Some calls overseas are very cheap and they tell you how much the call cost before connecting you. You get billed at the end of the month.  My telephone calls with BT went from £60 to £4 using this service
Puddy
AndrewMBaines
Dabbler

I've signed up for Sipgate. Bit annoyed that you can't test before paying £10, but it all works perfectly.
I'd still prefer to use PlusNet's free service, but as it doesn't work with my phone.....
puddy
Grafter

Puddy
paulby
Grafter

A bit late now you've signed up, but I use Draytel.  I've never had an issue with them - service just works and it's PAYG for calls to the PSTN.