cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Landline Numbers - Are these real landline numbers?

andun84
Grafter

VOIP Landline Numbers - Are these real landline numbers?

Basically in Ireland (North & South) those in the South can get landline phone deals which inlcude free calls to landline numbers in Northern Ireland. All 028 prefixed numbers are Northern Ireland numbers and my landline number that I have been allocated for my broadband phone is an 028 number so in theory my sister should be able to call me on it without incurring mobile charges. So are these landline numbers just like real landline numbers or can operators charge different rates based on them? Hope that makes sense Cheesy
3 REPLIES
between1and16ch
Grafter

Re: VOIP Landline Numbers - Are these real landline numbers?

Yes it should be fine.
I've never known an operator to make any distinction - so long as the number to get assigned is a 'normal' looking 01/02/03 geographic number - i.e. 028 numbers should be fine. With the possibility of telephone number porting they would have a job working out which number was really a landline anyway!
andun84
Grafter

That's what i was hoping Cheesy
Didn't know perhaps if like mobile numbers are there were some reserved number ranges which mobile operators will not include in your inclusive minutes.
pint
Grafter

If you have a smartphone, and a phone bundle with data you may also be able to use an app to connect to your voip account, I use 3CX on android, if your abroad and within range of a wifi hotspot you can even call home without roaming charges.