Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Beta Trial PSTN number Problem

scottiedog
Dabbler

VOIP Beta Trial PSTN number Problem

Hi Support,
New VOIP Trial activated and set up ok, only problem is that when I activated the service using the sent email and selected a local PSTN number, it supplied an error which i did not make a reference of, but had the word duplicate in it. It still returned a new local PSTN number 01458 xxxxxx, but when this number is dialed you get NU tone. (number not in service) New sip ID works fine for out going and incoming calls but the local number dosnt, could this be checked please, Using Zyxel P2002L
Regards
Scott Cowie
10 REPLIES
scottiedog
Dabbler

Re: VOIP Beta Trial PSTN number Problem

Just to add to my question. I can make all other outgoing PSTN calls ok 01/02 etc
Scott
xpcomputers
Grafter

Does Gradwell use the system where you need to dial the full number (eg dialling code too) to be able to use the number locally?
I have certainly seen this with other similar phone systems.
eg within 01458 code area, you would still need to dial 01458 xxxxxx to be able to call you (not just xxxxxx).
Have you tried this?
Can someone else report back whether you need the dialling code within the local region with Gradwell, as I am currently assessing whether to jump onto the new platform, but want to know the answers before committing to them and picking my number.
Thanks
puddy
Grafter

yes you must dial the number with the STD code for all calls including local calls

puddy
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I do not have to dial the area code for numbers  from the same area code for incoming calls.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: scottiedog
Hi Support,
It still returned a new local PSTN number 01458 xxxxxx, but when this number is dialed you get NU tone. (number not in service)
Regards
Scott Cowie

If you dial you home phone number from the voip phone what number comes up on call display/1471?  and call you dial that number?
Puddy
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

Was just about to say the same thing as puddy.  Other one is to phone a mobile (or something else that shows the incoming number).
Phil
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: puddy
yes you must dial the number with the STD code for all calls including local calls

puddy

Quote from: glloyd
I do not have to dial the area code for numbers  from the same area code for incoming calls.

Discrepancy there....
I wonder if it depends on your local exchange and Gradwell's location? Eg Gradwell obviously terminate all the numbers centrally, but don't have a presence in all the local exchanges themselves, maybe it depends on a setting in each specific exchange... or maybe gllloyd just happens to be in the exchange where Gradwell are based?
What are other people seeing? Do you have to dial the local code locally to get it to work?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Could it be that if you have a geographic number Gradwell assumes the same STD if it is missing?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
xpcomputers
Grafter

I have taken this question (about geographic numbers usage and dialling local codes) into a different thread, to keep this one on-topic for the original poster to solve his problem, as it appears to be unrelated.
Please continue the local area code dialling discussion in the following thread from now.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,58329.0.html
scottiedog: This thread is back to being devoted to your initial issues...
Thanks
Mike
ps... thanks for your input jelv. I'll reply in the other thread!
scottiedog
Dabbler

Thanks Plus net
Fault cleared on geographical local number, my PSTN number 01458 xxxxxx was not associated with my SIP account number when I completed the registration. I was allocated the new PSTN number but it was not linked to my SIP. Plusnet support chaps corrected this. Now able to receive incoming calls to my PSTN number.
Thanks
Scottie