cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using mobile as wireless landline handset

sjptd
Grafter

Using mobile as wireless landline handset

I have a voip requirement that is almost the reverse of 'normal' voip pattern of use.
I would like to use my mobile to answer (and sometimes to make) landline calls.  This should be possible through:
  phone line <--> gateway <-voip-> mobile with SIP client
The gateway needs an FXO socket and a very basic SIP server.  Basically, the gateway is pretty much like a DECT base station, but with SIP/IP rather than DECT/wireless.  Indeed, the gateway could use some alternative voip protocol that could be simpler than (stripped down) SIP, but the drawbacks seem much greater than the savings.
I assume I can configure a device such as ZYXEL P2602 (L version) or Cisco SPA3102 to do this, but it seems considerable overkill of hardware, and of configuration effort.  I can see the benefit of all the other features such hardware could provide, but it doesn't really apply to my (simple?) need.  I would have thought there could be quite high demand for a simple consumer gateway that would require almost no configuration.  Does anyone know if such a simplified PSTN/FXO/SIP/ip gateway exists?  If not, I think I'll buy a Zyxel cheap on ebay (£15 with postage) and experiment.
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Using mobile as wireless landline handset

Do you mean using your mobile while on a wi-fi connection at home but routing to the (POTS) phone line rather then via VIOP?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
sjptd
Grafter

Exactly, yes.  It will be voip as far as the gateway then POTS.
Potentially could also work on wifi connection away from home or mobile data connection as well; but with port forwarding and security issues.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If I understand correctly this is one of the functions of the Fritz!Box 7390 (and others) - though it's an expensive option, possibly way over the top for what you want.
I have my Fritz!Box connected to DSL and to the telephone socket, the router has a built-in dect base station, voip gateway and you can install a Fritz!app on your mobile (iPhone and Android versions at least), you can then make and answer both VOIP and landline calls using the mobile phone (or even wi-fi tablets and similar devices).
See http://en.avm.de/products/fritzapps/ for some further info (Fritz!App Fon).
Not sure if AVM are the only ones offering this particular function as standard, there may be others.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
sjptd
Grafter

Thanks for the replies.  I have gone for the Zyxel which is probably more complicated than I need but should do the job.  I can then also waste time exploring it's other capabilities.
sjptd
Grafter

I now have the Zyxel P-2602RL-D1A but sadly it does not appear to be able to do what I want.
The FXO port appears only able to connect via the FXS ports to analog phones.  The 2602 will not act as a SIP server to collect SIP calls from my mobile and route them via the FXO port to my landline.    It will perform the primary job for which it was designed; to act as SIP client to allow an analog phone plugged into the FXS port to participate in a VoiP call. 
It would have been a bargain for what it does if that is what I had wanted; but turns out rather a waste.  I'll probably put it on Freecycle; hardly worth the bother of ebaying it.  It must have all the components I need if I could just rewrite the firmware, and maybe slightly rejig the hardware too.