cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a different router with my broadband phone

kevandali

Using a different router with my broadband phone

Hi Everyone
Not really sure if I am in the right place but got a quick question.
I have recently registered with Plusnet and the broadband is set up, the broadband phone is set up via a temporary usb headset.
My normal phone is not yet working but is in the process of being sorted.
My question is-----------------  I want to buy a broadband phone that plugs straight into my router so I do not have to have the computer on all the time to make calls.
Trouble is, I can see only one dsl connection on the router, could I use my old wannadoo router to access the internet as this has connections for a broadband phone.
Or would i have to get a different plusnet router with an extra connection for a broadband phone
Thanks in advance for any help
Kevandali
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Using a different router with my broadband phone

Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Trouble is, I can see only one dsl connection on the router, could I use my old wannadoo router to access the internet as this has connections for a broadband phone.

I presume you mean only one LAN connection. You could always get a cheap 4 port switch and plug that into your router and then plug an IP phone or ATA into it. This thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,39.0.html outlines the various options for voip phones.
Is you wanadoo router an Orange Livebox ? I think you would need to update its firmware to allow it to work with other ISP's but I've no experience of doing that.
Community Veteran

To get the wanadoo router to work would require a firmware hack to unlock it and make it able to connect to other isp's,these hacks are made by endusers as a workaround and the stability questionable. Also if someone has they probably wouldn't have bothered getting round the voip part as I experienaced with a BT router which tried to update itself from BT then was locked because of the hack  Sad
Depends mainly what your budget is. bottom of the range to get you making calls without the pc in the £20 bracket would be simple 4port router and a ATA switch both would probably come in at a tenner a piece off the likes of ebay. Routers are abundant and a linksys pap2 voip switch(hong knong versions) are also plentiful. Router to PC / Router to switch/ switch to phone job done, theres plenty of stuff in here regarding the correct settings for the switch.
Next step up buying a router that already has the ATA switch built in now your getting into the £50/60 quidish area new prices.
And then phones that connect straight to the router or ones that can use wifi (if u have a wireless router) in the £80 area new prices.
Its a mine field I know from when I first tried to set mine up but theres lots of ways with there pros and cons but ulimately comes down to the coin.
I have the first setup the el cheapo and its exactly like using my bt phone other than its free  Wink

kevandali

Thanks for the advice, I reckon I will be going with the cheapo route (too much month left at the end of the money}
Once I get an ATA switch, can I then plug my household phone into the spare Lan connection and use both noral calls and broadband calls from the same phone?
Or will it be broadband phone only and another phone for normal calls, will look into it anyway.
Thanks again
Kev
puddy
Grafter

Best option and cheapest would be a speedtouch 716wl voip router it as 4ports wireless adsl2+ (future proof 25mg) and 2 voip ports price?  i have picked them up from ebay (digidave) from 99p 3-months warranty currently £15 12 months warranty
As for 1 dsl socket all home routers only have 1 .The ports on the back-this is were voip adapters/phones plug in to and other equipment like lan cards x-boxes etc.  Some routers that come free from plusnet may only have 1 lan port
kind regards
Puddy
Community Veteran

I think with the ATA/router setup I mentioned you would need two phones one for voip and one for analogue, I think there is possibly a way to have one phone do both check the voip specific part of the forum for more info on that. I never looked too far into it as the point of my setup is to have two phones but I'm sure its possible.
Makes you wonder why PN don't offer such a set up with the voip element being a large selling point, I would have paid probably £30/40 at sign up if I was gonna get something a long the lines of a BT Type home hub.
Oleo
Grafter

IIRC something like a linksys spa 3000 ata might do the trick. It connects via a lan from the router for voip, and a conventional bt line occupies the other socket. One conventional pots phone runs both lines. The ata can be configured to send out to voip or conventional land line depending how you set it up.
This forum is a gold mine of information http://forum.voxilla.com/
Community Veteran

Thank you for that link. The forum is very useful