cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Bria from Counterpath - iPhone version

windmillweb

Using Bria from Counterpath - iPhone version

I'm using X-Lite 4 on my PC and have it configured and working using the basic settings provided from PlusNet. Bria is the Counterpath offering for i-phone and i-pad and also Anndroid. I'm trying to set it up the i-phone version on my ipad with some problems
I'm using nat.plus.net:5082 as the outbound proxy and when I use my username as Authentication I get a 407 error telling me that Proxy Authorisation is required. If I use username@sip.plus.net it seems to allow me to register but then won't connect me when I try to dial out. Also won't receive calls although it says it's registered
Anyone else got this version configured and working?
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Using Bria from Counterpath - iPhone version

Hi, I've not tried Bria on either the IPhone or Android I'm afraid but I'll try and help if possible.
Having looked at the configuration guides I would suggest the following for the Iphone :-
(In the Account settings)
Username - <sip id>@sip.plus.net
Password - <sip password>
Domain - sip.plus.net
(and in the Advanced settings)
Out. Proxy - natproxy.plus.net:5082
Auth Name - <sip id>
where <sip id> is your 7 digit extension number and <sip password> is your sip password
Let us know how that goes...
windmillweb

Hi..Thanks for coming to my aid. Unfortunately that didn't seem to work. Addiong <sip id>@sip.plus.net returned an error message about invalid characters @ and .
Removing it but leaving the natproxy.plus.net:5082 in instead of nat.plus.net:5082 saw the Registration process returning timeout errors as it continued to attempt registration
itsme
Grafter

MisterW may have got the Username and the Auth Name the wrong way round. The Username should be the 7 digit extension number.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

I wasn't sure about what Bria wanted in the Username , the Iphone guide is unclear. As itsme says try just the extension no in username , it may be needed in authname as well, Try various combinations.
windmillweb

Thanks for the help so far. I thought I’d try to take some screenshots to help with the analysis. There doesn’t seem to be that many settings that can make the difference but think it hinges around the Proxy Server settings.
I’m now using Bria’s iPad beta app which appears settings wise to be identical to the iPhone app. The setup problems remain the same
I’m pretty happy that the basic account details are correct (Screenshot- Basic). <sipid> is my 7 digit number and if I change that to sipid@sip.plus.net for example I’m not able to Register
In Advanced Settings (Screenshot – Advanced) it doesn’t seem to matter for registration what I put in the Out Proxy address but does matter what is in the Auth Name. With either <sipid> or sipid@sip.plus.net I can register but get different error messages when I try to dial
With sipid@sip.plus.net the error message returned is (Screenshot – Full_SIP_ID) and with only the <sipid> I get (Screenshot – Short)
This suggests to me that the full sip id is required but the Proxy setting is wrong. In the screenshots the proxy server setting is sip.plus.net but I’ve tried most combinations (sip.plus.net:5082, nat.plus.net, nat.plus.net:5082, natproxy.plus.net, natproxy.plus.net:5082) and still get the ‘full sip id’ error 400 message
I’ve had to move also from the default setting for Sip Registration. The default is Incoming Calls but I need to put it to Single before registration possible. Cannot use both either.
I don’t understand the Registration and outward dialling message flow (would if someone explained it) so can’t tell where else the problem could be. Seems like Proxy Server. Network traversal is set at UDP. If I set it at anything else registration fails
All advice accepted… please
Community Veteran

This http://www.gradwell.com/support/kb/article.php?id=187 should help. It's a configuration guide for Iphone Bria using Gradwell and since they host the PlusNet voip it SHOULD be the definitive guide. Just replace sip.gradwell.com with sip.plus.net and nat.gradwell.com:5082 with natproxy.plus.net:5082 , the rest should be as per guide.
Lets see how that goes.
windmillweb

Thanks again for the tip about the Gradwell site. I've gone there and it seems so easy to set things up. Have tried, deleted my account a few times and tried again but still can't make phone calls, getting the Proxy Authentication 407 error.
I can't work it out. I've had the IS-Phone lite working (though couldn't end calls without powering down my device) but still got further than with the Bria. BTW since I asked IS-Phone support and they upgraded me to a new version of their software I can't configure it either. Nightmare...
I don't want to give up. I've asked Gradwell for some tips but struggling now.
Malcolm
Community Veteran

Have you tried sending the diagnostic log to Counterpath ?
If all else fails, my youngest daughter has an IPhone, I won't see her for 2 or 3 weeks though. When I do I'll see if I can put Bria on her phone and configure it with my PlusNet account.
Edit: another thought , is it possible to get the diagnostic log off the phone as a file. I may be able to make some sense of it if its similar to the X-Lite log.
windmillweb

Thanks MisterW.... Thinking about it my own daughter also has an iphone but I won't see her for a wee while. I sent the log to Counterpath early on. I think the verbose logging is fairly Spartan though... Will try again. Don't get your daughter downloading the Bria app though .. it costs money!
I'll keep you posted on progress. Acrobits becoming an attractive thought!