cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Asterisk for outgoing calls has no sound since upgrade

iasgoscouk

Using Asterisk for outgoing calls has no sound since upgrade

Since the upgrade, I nolonger hear any sound (ringing or caller upon answering) when placing outbound calls, but asterisk reports via the control panel everything is ok, and the caller can hear everything you say.    I have placed Asterisk console into full debug mode, but no errors are showing.  The channels appear to be using ulaw.  I am using the latest 1.4 versions of zaptel and asterisk.
I also use Sipgate, and both inbound and outbound calls are still ok.
Using the previous service, this worked ok.    Inbound calls are working ok with the new service.
I've checked my Asterisk sip.conf settings with the messages already posted, and they are ok.
I know someone else who uses Asterisk, who is also experiencing the same problem.
Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this ?

thanks
ian
13 REPLIES
petergradwell
Grafter

Re: Using Asterisk for outgoing calls has no sound since upgrade

hi
could I ask you please to post the asterisk console output whilst you make a call?
thanks
peter
[Moderators Note by Daniel (Assos), Removed full quote of previous post, it is not needed and contravenes the link:rules.
iasgoscouk

have made a call this morning -    console log is on full debug - so about 200 lines
can be found at http://gos.co.uk/data/silent_call.txt
please confirm receipt of file so that I can remove it.
thanks
RichSmol
Grafter

I've raised a support ticket with Gradwell - i'll get them to take a look at it for you. I've made a copy of the logs is you wish to remove it.
RichSmol
Grafter

Gradwell are still investigating this but could you try altering your dial plan to include one of the following and then re-test:
cheers
Rich
RichSmol
Grafter

iasgoscouk - is there any chance you could setup some remote access for Gradwell so they can delv in a little deeper?
pd
Grafter

Hi Rich...  I don't know whether it will help, but I am also using my Broadband Phone through Asterisk with no problems.  One-way audio more often than not usually points to the required ports not being forwarded from the router to Asterisk.

Peter
RichSmol
Grafter

any chance you could share your dialplan and config to make sure everythings right on that side of things?
cheers
Rich
pd
Grafter

any chance you could share your dialplan and config to make sure everythings right on that side of things?

I've put a copy here Rich.   

My SIP settings for Asterisk
I'll leave you to decide what to do with it.
Peter
iasgoscouk

Sorry - seem to have lost the thread watch so missed your replies.
I have a draytel 2820 router and obviously there are port redirections to cover asterisk.
the ports included for redirection to the asterisk server are :
TCP/UDP 5060
TCP/UDP 5004-5036
TCP/UDP 5082
UDP 10000
Today I did try and make a call, and this time I could hear the ringing sounds, but couldn't hear the call itself.
The server is obviously sat behind a firewall and the ports open are restricted.  The server is also used to hold a web portal which is in use.  I would prefer not to give remote access.  At the moment, I am not at work, and have taken a break from work and are available at any time to offer help.
iasgoscouk

Checked my sip.conf and extensions.conf and they are match exactly those posted.
iasgoscouk

I think the issue may be solved thanks to the comments about ports.
I have a block of fixed IPs and use the one of the additional IPs for my asterisk server.  On my firewall for IP I only allowed the ports mentioned in the previous update.  On the previous platform it was ok -  looked at the nat sessions table on the router and the call is using ports in the range of 12000 plus.
In a call at the moment and it is ok.  Will make some more calls and update as appropriate.
iasgoscouk

I have  made another call this morning and that is ok too.
Spoke to someone else I know who has a similar asterisk setup with a Draytek router, and changed their NAT port settings and they appear to be working too.
Will confirm in a couple of days if all is still ok.
thanks to Peter too for pointing out the ports/firewall issue.
pd
Grafter

If you look at  /etc/asterisk/rtp.conf  you'll see what ports asterisk expects to be open for rtp.
Peter