cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade to FTC with VOIP

colinallinson
Dabbler

Upgrade to FTC with VOIP

I am currently a Plusnet user with standard DSL but FTC is now available in my area. However, I am a heavy VOIP user with multiple accounts. I use a AVM Fritz 7270 which collects calls from multiple VOIP accounts and, in addition, it has a phone connection to the landline to collect these calls as well. The effect is that one set of phones (connected to the Fritz) is used for both landline and VOIP calls.  VOIP calls are useful to me because I also receive and make outgoing calls to Germany with a German VOIP account that is configured into my Fritz box.
The Fritz box can be configured as just a router but this raises the following questions :-
1) Would the 7270 be useable as my own router (it does not support VDSL)?
2) If the 7270 is not suitable - would the VDSL equivalent (7390) be suitable?
3) Does the BT Fibre modem block SIP protocols (I had this problem with the PLUSNET supplied Thompson Modem with VOIP equipmentr behind it).
4) If I upgrade and can't get VOIP working properly - can they downgrade me again?
Or - Should I just leave alone for now?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: Upgrade to FTC with VOIP

1) Would the 7270 be useable as my own router (it does not support VDSL)?

Well the manual claims it can be connected to a DSL modem so it should be capable of being used with the BT modem.
2) If the 7270 is not suitable - would the VDSL equivalent (7390) be suitable?

Yes, there are a number of people who have used the 7390 directly connected to the VDSL line ( without the BT modem )
although this is not supported by BT/PlusNet.
3) Does the BT Fibre modem block SIP protocols

No, its just a modem, it doesnt block anything.
4) If I upgrade and can't get VOIP working properly - can they downgrade me again?

Pass, you need one of the DC team to answer that.
Hope that helps.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: colinallinson

VOIP should work perfectly on FTTC, mine does!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
knowdice
Grafter

And mine  Cheesy
itsme
Grafter

You set the 7270 as per http://service.avm.de/support/en/skb/FRITZ-Box-7270-int/700:Connecting-FRITZ-Box-to-a-cable-modem the BT modem will plug into LAN 1 port
colinallinson
Dabbler

Thanks all for your help. That gives me a certain amount of confidence and I will look into it further when I get back in 2 weeks.
Fixes: 101

Just to add another voice to the list that VoIP on FTTC works fine.
Will Moderate For Thanks