cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unuseable

gooney

Unuseable

Hi, just wondering if I am doing anything wrong and any advise will be much appreciated...  I have just setup my Broadband phone and when I make a call my speech is delayed about about 3 seconds (I expect some delay) and I was told my speech was breaking up.  At the moment its unusable but is there anyway to improve things - Thanks.
Terry
PS I am using SJPhone and Vista for testing purposes.
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: Unuseable

I didn't think SJPhone was officially vista compatible, so it may be worth trying either X-Lite or Zoiper to see if you still have the same issue.
Will Moderate For Thanks
gooney

Thanks adiwoo Smiley  I am downloading that now and will come back to say whether it has fixed the problem or not - most appreciated Smiley
Terry
gooney

Thanks adiwoo X-lite has made it muuuuuuuuuuch better, still to do more tests but its looking ok Smiley
Terry

excellent glad that has helped Smiley
If you find that you will be using it a fair bit it may well be worth investing in a separate phone hardware, as they are a step up in quality again.
Will Moderate For Thanks
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo

it may well be worth investing in a separate phone hardware, as they are a step up in quality again.

If you go the hardware route for voip had you thought about changing to a speedtouch 716wl wireless router or 716 wired only?  They have 2 voip ports which you can connect a BT phone (adapter required) best bit if you go for the wireless router you can get them from digidave on ebay for 99p plus £5.99 for delivery
Spec 716wl
4 port
adsl 2+
2 built in voip ports
wireless
wpa-psk or wpa2 (ssid and password on the bottom of the router and for that router only)

and you dont need to leave your computer on to make or receive calls

kind regards
Puddy
gooney

Thanks Puddy adiewoo for the advise - much appreciated.  As this is the first time I have used a VoIP service I just wanted to get it up and running to see how useful it was, X-lite has made all the difference and after a couple of weeks using it I will seriously think about a hardware phone.
Just one more question if I may Smiley...
If I got a mobile phone that connects to VoIP via my home wifi setup, can I connect via other wifi's or do I need to always be using Voip via my PlusNet broadband ?
Terry

You should be able to use it on any wifi, assuming that they don't block any of the ports required.
Will Moderate For Thanks
gooney

Ah very useful adiewoo, thanks again Smiley
Terry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

You should be able to use it on any wifi,

I'll second that. I have an N95 and have used it on my voip account when on holiday in Portugal. Most of the towns in the Algarve have free wifi areas funded though the 'Algarve Digital' programmme. The N95 connects fine though those to my PlusNet voip account.  I've even had voip working out there via a PAYG mobile broadband sim on the TMN network, which sort of surprised me, I was expecting them to block voip ports. Sound was a bit choppy at times though, given the latency on a mobile braodband network.
itsme
Grafter

MrW is too quick.
I to have used my VoIP mobile in other countries using open WiFI without any problems. The advantage is that the call cost are the same no matter which country you use VoIP in, so calls back to UK landlines were free as part of my inclusive minutes.
Obviously you can only use WiFi if it's an open connection because the owners of the WiFi allow others to use them or a Hotspot which you probably have to pay for. These links www.fon.com and www.btfon.com will give some information of the former.
gooney

Thanks everyone for the info, its good to know that this is possible Smiley
Terry
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: gooney
if I got a mobile phone that connects to VoIP via my home wifi setup, can I connect via other wifi's or do I need to always be using Voip via my PlusNet broadband ?
Terry

Nokia E65 N82 N95 N95-8gb can be used on a wifi network
With my E65 when I leave home it disconnects from my home wifi  service and when I get back home it logs on to wifi connection automatically.
You can log on to any wifi signal with permission when out and about
When I go to Spain I have found an unprotected wifi signal so I can make VoIP calls home free of charge.  If anybody rings my VoIP telephone number and I have a  wifi signal the phone will ring in Spain but the caller pays nothing ( comes out off call allowance) or local BT call charge.  Best bit is nobody know you’re away from home and they dont even have to dial a country code.  The nokia phones are capable of having more than 1 voip account

If you’re looking for a cheap phone a Nokia E65 should cost about £45-£50  or N95 £90 
Ask your local independent mobile repair shop to update the phone with latest Nokia generic firmware (debranding) ask him to unlock the phone at the same time cost £15 if needed. 
Updating/de-branding gets rid of all the mobile phone providers rubbish and make the phone thinks it a sim free phone i.e. brought at full price with no contract.  They do this by changing the product code
puddy
ps I only know how the Nokia phones work
gooney

Thanks Puddy Smiley
Terry