Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UTstarcom GF-210

Annie
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

UTstarcom GF-210

I'm fairly new to VOIP and have been using a cheap USB phone to get started.
Now I'm looking at the UTstarcom GF-210 phone http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/utstarcom/gf-210
Does anyone know what this phone is like and whether it will work with Plusnet's broadband phone? I have no experience of setting up VOIP hardware other than using X-Lite with the USB phone and I simply followed the instructions on Plusnet's website for that. I'm concerned that I won't understand how to set it up.
What I'm looking for is a phone that will work at home on our broadband connection anywhere in the house without the need to have the computer on. Cost is also a factor. The UTstarcom GF-210 is £49 on Sipgate's website but I don't know if that means it can only be used with sipgate if I buy it there. I'm not really too interested in making SIP - SIP calls as I don't know anyone else using the system. However, my primary reason for it is to utilize the local number to save having a second line.
Also, my existing Plusnet broadband package offers me 120 free mins. I am going to be moving house in a couple of months - will I be able to keep the same package or do I have to sign up with the latest products when I move?
Annie
13 REPLIES
Fixes: 101

Re: UTstarcom GF-210

You should be able to keep your package when you move, but even if you move onto a newer package you can keep your VoIP minutes.
I moved onto unlimited and kept mine.
Looking at the instructions here http://www.sipgate.de/lang/de/en_manual_gf210.pdf it does seem that it will be easily configurable to work with PN.
But I'd wait for a more experienced member to cast their eye over it Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

What I'm looking for is a phone that will work at home on our broadband connection anywhere in the house without the need to have the computer on. Cost is also a factor

Do you want a phone purely for the voip line, or a phone which will work with both your landline and voip line ?
Yes, from the manual I would say you should easily be able to configure the UtStarcom for Plusnet
You should be able to keep your package when you move, but even if you move onto a newer package you can keep your VoIP minutes.
I moved onto unlimited and kept mine.

You would need to make sure you activate your Voip account before you move to the new products.
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you for your replies. I don't particularly need the phone to work with the landline as we already have a wireless setup for that.
I am also entertaining the idea of the Siemens Gigaset C475IP which has an answerphone as part of the phone. The reason I'm looking at this is that I'm not sure whether other hardware would let me know if I have a Voicemail message if my computer was off (ie. I currently get an email when there's a voicemail message - I see that the system can send a text message but this costs 7p per text.) I presume I would need to turn off the voicemail facility if I went for this particular Siemens.
Quote..
You would need to make sure you activate your Voip account before you move to the new products.
Presumably if I'm already using VOIP then it's activated - yes?
Annie
Fixes: 101

Yep, if you're using it it's activated  Smiley
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

I am also entertaining the idea of the Siemens Gigaset C475IP which has an answerphone as part of the phone. The reason I'm looking at this is that I'm not sure whether other hardware would let me know if I have a Voicemail message if my computer was off (ie. I currently get an email when there's a voicemail message - I see that the system can send a text message but this costs 7p per text.)

I dont think the Gradwell voip system supports the voicemail indication, usually called MWI ( message waiting indicator ) so I think you're right no other hardware will tell you if you have a message waiting.
I actually have a C475IP, hence my question before...
I presume I would need to turn off the voicemail facility if I went for this particular Siemens

No need to turn it off, normally the answerphone on the C475 would answer it, but just in case ( e.g a broadband failure ) I'd leave the email/voicemail facility on.
The C475 works pretty well although the fact that the base unit is separate from the handset, means you have 2 things to power, although since the base unit needs to be near your router, it usually works out ok. If you already have DECT handsets they will work with the C475 ( I've tried it ) athough you dont have all the facilities on a non siemens handset you can certainly make and take calls.
Shout up if you need more info...
Annie
Rising Star

Thank you again. It's good to know the Siemens Gigaset C475IP phone works well for other Plusnet broadband phone users. I was worried about buying something that might end up being incompatible. I think I will get one of these.
If I need help to set it up when it arrives, may I post in the forum? I might very much appreciate a bit of a hand.
Annie
Community Veteran

If I need help to set it up when it arrives, may I post in the forum? I might very much appreciate a bit of a hand.

Please do, we will be only too pleased to try and help. You can also drop me a PM if you wish, although a post here possibly helps others as well.
Ian
PS
A couple of places I know do the C475, http://www.cordless-phones.uk.com/voip-phones/voip-dect-phones/
and http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/siemens-dect-cordless-phones/siemens-gigaset-c475ip-voip-an...
I've dealt with Home-phones but only because they are fairly close to me and I was able to collect, Ligo's prices now seem to include delivery though...
Annie
Rising Star

Cheers MisterW. I've placed an order through Amazon Marketplace (ligo).
Really handy that it'll work with another DECT phone as it means we can have one downstairs as well as in the office. It's also useful that the handset doesn't need to be near the base station as these will be in two different rooms.
One question which comes to mind - can you ensure the answerphone doesn't pick up for the normal landline as we have a separate answerphone for that?
Annie
Community Veteran

One question which comes to mind - can you ensure the answerphone doesn't pick up for the normal landline as we have a separate answerphone for that?

Not absolutely sure about that , I think so , I'll check the manual tomorrow and get back to you if that's ok. Had a heavy cold for the last couple of days so I've had a few scotch's ( purely medicinal ) and going to get an early night.
Ian
Edit: just realised I can quickly check on the web configuration.
Yes you can, you can configure independently whether the answer machine operates on each of the ( up to six ) voip accounts and the landline.
You can also specify which handset(s) ring for each of the voip accounts and landline.
Community Veteran

This phone (the UTstarcom) does look interesting.
Going back to Annie's original question, does anyone have any experience of this?
Bob
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks for checking on that Ian. I do hope you feel a bit better tomorrow.
Annie
Community Veteran

@annie, Thanks, feeling a lot better today.
You can download the manual from here http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_145533_rArNrNrNrN_variation%253A-5_pageType%253Amanuals_imageP...
The stuff about answerphone is on about page 145.
Annie
Rising Star

Thanks very much for the link. Glad you're feeling better.
Annie
Annie