Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off SIP ALG on Thomson Router

southerncomfort
Grafter

Turning off SIP ALG on Thomson Router

Hi,
Plusnet have been my ISP for about 7 years now. I use a VOIP phone service provided by voipfone.co.uk and have been with them for about 3 years. I am experiencing issues with the voipfone service which are apparently caused by the Thomson Router TG585 (provided by Plusnet) SIP ALG settings - basically I need to turn this setting off.
Voipfone have explained how to do this on the Thomson router by making a simple change via telnet. However this requires me to log into the router as Administrator, which I cannot seem to do with the Plusnet supplied router.
Could someone please explain either a) how to turn off SIP ALG in the Plusnet router, or b) how to log in as administrator so I can make the change via a telnet setting.
FYI here is the guidance provided by Voipfone: http://www.voipfoneuserforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3192
Many thanks,
Mike.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Turning off SIP ALG on Thomson Router

I haven't got a TG585, but I thought with the later ones the userid is admin and the password was the router serial number.
puddy
Grafter

Here how I did it with my speedtouch 716wl router your site info missed out the o before 192.168.1.254  if using the password on the underneath sticker on your router doesn't work try it without entering the password.  The ALG problem only seems to be because your router quite old try updating its firmware or buy a new router.  I had the same problem with ALG on my 716wl router but my new Draytek 2710n router works fine without playing around with the ALG settings.
Also even if you do change ALG settings it sometimes defaults back.  In addition I think its the fault of your voip provider I had the same problem with sipgate but using plusnet draytel or coms.com voip service ALG never been a problem some of us here gave up using sipgate.  ALG seems to have issues with old  netgear router as well is old speedtouch routers.
I have just had a look on your voip providers site and see that they charge £2 a month for a normal std number do you realise plusnet & coms.com provide them for free?
Kind regards
Puddy
In telnet
Type  o 192.168.1.254
Connected to speedtouch
Escape character is ‘^]’.
Username : Administrator
Password : ********
———-…
… welcome message trimmed
Type menu
look for connection>unbind> application
application=choose sip (press enter key to bring choices up)
port= enter 5060 press enter then choose OK

Re-boot router
southerncomfort
Grafter

Thank you both for your replies. Voipfone have "put me back on the old system" whatever that means, and it seems ok for the moment.  If the problem recurs I'll do as you suggest  Puddy,.
If I switch to Plusnet for Voip I'll have to port my number over. Is this a problem, is there a charge, and can it be done smoothly?
Its my main business number so do not want problems or downtime.

Many thanks,
Mike
-
itsme
Grafter

Not sure if you can port a VoIP number across. Believe you can only port BT and Virgin numbers to VoIP.