cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Siemens Gigaset Information and Support Thread

Community Veteran

The Siemens Gigaset Information and Support Thread

As there appear to be quite a few PlusNet Gigaset users, I thought it would be worth starting a thread so that we can have a single source of information, queries and support.
So for starters here is some information about the latest firmware update for the A580IP and I believe also the C475IP and S685IP.

Gigaset A580 IP Firmware update 04/2009
Download version: 02184

New features:
100% reduction of transmission power in standby mode with activated ECO Mode Plus
Mute function. Turn off the handset's microphone during an external call with the left display key.
Send and receive SMS messages via VoIP*
VoIP: If the telephone cannot establish a VoIP connection, it automatically dials via the fixed line network (auto-fallback to PSTN).
VoIP: Call transfer via R key
VoIP: An incoming call indicated in parallel at different VoIP devices (parallel ringing) will not be stored in the "Missed calls" list if the call was accepted at one of the devices.*
Online directory: display the postal codes in search results.*
Online directory: when starting a new search the cities used in the last searches will be displayed.
Fixed line access codes can be stored in the phone.
Some languages will be loaded on to the base via the internet, depending on the language set on the handset.
Extended RTP port range (1024-55000)
DHCP Option 114 implemented.*
DHCP Option 120 implemented.*
Web Configurator: option to specify whether the "area code" is dialled as well.
Web Configurator: display RTP port range
Web Configurator: new languages - Arabic and Russian
Web Configurator: enhanced PIN protection - warning if the default pin (0000) has not been changed.
Improvements:
The automatic search function for firmware updates is enabled even if the internet connection is temporarily interrupted during the night.
The indication "Anonymous call activated" will no longer be displayed in the idle mode of the handset.
The country code is synchronised between base station and handset.

The download and the latest version of the manuals are available on the Gigaset portal http://gigaset.com
Bob
182 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

Re: The Siemens Gigaset Information and Support Thread

Good idea bob,
Let me add this I've just found in the latest manual supplement. It explains a problem Annie was having, trying to stop the handset ring for landline calls, with a C475 in another thread
Signalling incoming calls
If you have not assigned any receive numbers, either to the answering machine or the registered handsets,
calls to all connections will be signalled on all handsets.
If you have assigned receive numbers, your handset will only indicate calls to receiving
numbers assigned to this handset. Please note the following cases:
  If the phone number is not assigned to a handset or an answering machine as a receive
    number, all calls to this number are signalled on all handsets.
  If the phone number is not assigned to a handset, but is assigned to the answering
    machine, the call is not signalled on any handset and is accepted by the answering machine.
Calls to your phone's IP address are signalled on all handsets.
puddy
Grafter

I still  cannot get in to my settings with Internet Explorer 8
How do I find out using the (handset) to see of its loaded the latest fimware?  it just tell's me its no update required
Could be my Gigaset  (C460) so old now Siemens offer no support anymore.
Has anybody used the free Gigaset to Gigaset calls function?
Puddy
Community Veteran

Quote from: puddy
How do I find out using the (handset) to see of its loaded the latest fimware?

From the A580IP user manual (I don't know if this works for the C460 - I looked in the C460 manual on-line but it wasn't mentioned):
Handset service information
When the handset is in idle status:
Press the display key "Menu"
Press the following keys one after the other * # 0 6 #
The information displayed on the handset includes:
1. Serial number (IPUI)
2. Number of operating hours
3. Variant, version of handset software
Edit - I should have tried this before I posted! It seems that the version of the handset software isn't the same as the firmware version.
Quote from: puddy
Has anybody used the free Gigaset to Gigaset calls function?

No I've not tried this - I don't know anyone else with a Gigaset phone (present company excluded).
Bob
Community Veteran

Could be my Gigaset  (C460) so old now Siemens offer no support anymore.

@puddy,
I believe the latest firmware update is only for the C475/S685/A580 phones based on the Siemens Chagall/2 platform. I recall reading somewhere that there is unlikey to be any more firmware updates for the C460 based on the earlier platform.
Community Veteran

Just a thought on dialling plans. It would be great if you could specify the days and times for a plan. For example:
For numbers starting 01 use the voip line between 08:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday.
Something for a future update hopefully.
Bob
Community Veteran

Just a thought on dialling plans. It would be great if you could specify the days and times for a plan. For example:
For numbers starting 01 use the voip line between 08:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday.

That would be just what I need!. At the moment I use the default line facility to achieve some of that. I leave 01/02 & 03 and local numbers out of any dial plans and then Mon-Fri set the default line to voip from the handset (menu-5-6-1-1 IIRC). Then at the weekend I set the default to landline  (menu-5-6-1-2 IIRC). Achieves some of the results you are after bob , but a bit more effort... 
johpal
Grafter

@puddy
I can't login to my Gigaset C475IP with IE8 either. I had so many problems with IE8, I ditched it and use Google Chrome. Works fine with the phone software.
I like the idea of this thread. May I ask, is anybody else experiencing frequent disconnections of their VoIP service since the last firmware update? I seem to have to reboot my router (D-Link) every 3 - 4 days to reconnect.
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
May I ask, is anybody else experiencing frequent disconnections of their VoIP service since the last firmware update? I seem to have to reboot my router (D-Link) every 3 - 4 days to reconnect.

I've had my A580IP up and running for 6 days now with a Netgear DG834Gv3 and so far have had no problems at all.
Bob
Community Veteran

May I ask, is anybody else experiencing frequent disconnections of their VoIP service since the last firmware update? I seem to have to reboot my router (D-Link) every 3 - 4 days to reconnect.

Can't say I've noticed any disconnections. I upgraded my C475 on Saturday and I haven't received any 'you've gone offline' emails, and my router hasn't been reset since then. Only thing I've noticed a sometimes a delay on the web configurator. On some pages , like dial plan , it will get 1/2 the form up and then hang for what seems an age ( probably 10-15 secs ) then display the rest. The old firmware used to do it occasionally IIRC but I get the impression that the new one is slightly worse. 
johpal
Grafter

@bobboulby
Thanks Bob. I couldn't find any listed problems with Gradwell or PN; didn't see anything here either. I suspect my router is on the blink and I've just got rid of my old Speedtouch...
PS, guess my Gigaset.net nickname.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
I believe the latest firmware update is only for the C475/S685/A580 phones based on the Siemens Chagall/2 platform. I recall reading somewhere that there is unlikey to be any more firmware updates for the C460 based on the earlier platform.

I was wondering if the base station runs the slave handset settings, if so can I re-use the slave handsets with the full function of a C475 box?
Puddy
Community Veteran

@Puddy,
Have you tried the Siemens Compatability database ?
http://gigaset.com/shc/0,1935,hq_en_0_159159_rArNrNrNrN_PRUNIT%253AIQ-ul-GC475IP_PRODGRP%253AHO,00.h...
I'm not sure what the handset model is on the C460 so I couldnt try it myself.
Community Veteran

Quote from: johpal
I can't login to my Gigaset C475IP with IE8 either.

Does this not work at all? Last night I got prompted to download IE8 through Automatic Updates. I haven't yet - should I avoid?
Bob
Community Veteran

I decided to go for it and download IE8 and sure enough the Gigaset web configuration screens don't work. I can log in but the screens don't display properly and are really slow to load. To be fair to IE8 though, all the other sites I have visited have been ok.
Now that Microsoft are pushing IE8 out through Automatic Updates, it will quickly become the most used browser so hopefully Siemens will fix the problems soon.
Bob