cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tesco Internet Phone cessation 27th April 2010

Rikaitch
Grafter

Tesco Internet Phone cessation 27th April 2010

Tesco have decided they're going to remove their internet phone service. This means that everyone with a Tesco Internet Phone and Number are having the plug pulled at the end of April. I have a Siemens DP450 set up with them, and it's very good. It's also going to make a nice doorstop by the end of the month, unless I could maybe get PN's voip settings to work. Has anyone got any info?
39 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Tesco Internet Phone cessation 27th April 2010

The PlusNet VOIP settings are in the "Help & Support" section of the portal http://www.plus.net/support/phone/broadband_phone/howtouse.shtml. Are you able to change the settings on the DP450 or is it locked to Tesco? If it's not locked then I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.
Bob
Edit, a quick search on Google seems to suggest that it is locked to Tesco and I haven't found a way of unlocking it. If Tesco are withdrawing the service maybe they could give you some information?
Rikaitch
Grafter

Tesco will be no help whatsoever. The email just says "If you got it in 2010, take it back to the store with your receipt for a full refund."
I have found a rom image for it, so maybe I can remove the lock. I hope so. If not and I brick it, then I'll take it back anyway.
puddy
Grafter

Having worked for Tesco I hate them i used to be a bakery manager for them 20 years ago
I suggest you go in to your local tesco store and ask for the store manager make sure its not a shift manager ask him for his area manager to get involved
Put a call in to Tesco HQ ask for the product manager for the phone tell him/her that it leaves you with a useless phone make sure you ring him 3 times a week until you are given a unlock code or a refund
complain to trading standards as well
Dont give up thats what they want you to do
Puddy
Rikaitch
Grafter

Puddy: They'll just give a refund, which is not what I want. I chose this phone because it was cheap and did exactly what I wanted. Namely a UK phone number that's pay as you go, and a box that doesn't require a PC for the phone to work. It actually lives in Ireland on a site that doesn't have a landline, and isn't going to have one. This is why I'd rather keep it and get it working on PN's SIP instead. Angry
Fixes: 101

It seems to be as a result of Freshtel having difficulties:
ASX-listed VoIP telephony provider, Freshtel Holdings (ASX: FRE), has announced substantial changes to its business structure and forecast continued losses for 2010....
"Freshtel has incurred significant losses on its UK activity and agreement has now been reached with Tesco in the UK to terminate the service agreement under which Freshtel provides services to Tesco,"

Don't know if there is a way to get in touch with them as it's their service?
Will Moderate For Thanks
Rikaitch
Grafter

From what I gather they've gone/are going under, so no come back there either  Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Edit, a quick search on Google seems to suggest that it is locked to Tesco and I haven't found a way of unlocking it. If Tesco are withdrawing the service maybe they could give you some information?

AFAIK its effectively locked to Tesco because there is no ability to change the registrar server from 'tescointernetphone'. What you need is to connect the phone via something that will redirect the 'tescointernetphone' URL to the IP address of the PlusNet registrar server and it might work if you can configure the reset of the info for your PlusNet Voip account. Some routers allow you to to this, the BT Business hub (aka 2700HGV) for example.
Rikaitch
Grafter

I'd be installing it to an old PN Dlink 2640B router, so I wouldn't know how I can go about this. Any advice? Is it possible?
Community Veteran

No, from looking at the manual I'm afraid the 2640B doesnt seem to support DNS redirection.
Another couple of possibilities though...
As you're aware the DP450 is really a Siemens Gigaset S450 with different (locked) firmware.
Gigaset supply this firmware, have you tried contacting Gigaset support ( http://gigaset.com/hq/en/cms/PageContact.html ) to see if they can provide an unlocked version now that Tesco are abandoning it ? 
Another option is to try and update the unit with the standard S450 Gigaset f/w, I looked into this some while ago when I saw the DP450 and it didnt look possible due to the checks that the Tesco f/w did when you tried to upgrade it, however with the recent problems on the updated Gigaset f/w people have been looking into the possibilities of downgrading the f/w on their Gigaset phones.
This post http://cawanblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-downgrade-siemens-s450-sip.html looks interesting!!. If you can get the locked f/w into the self-healing mode described in the link , it may be that it will then upgrade to a standard Gigaset version, on the other hand you might end up with a 'brick' ( but its going to be that shortly anyway! ).
Community Veteran

Quote from: Rikaitch
They'll just give a refund, which is not what I want.

I don't understand. If Tesco will give you a refund, why don't you take the cash and buy a standard Gigaset handset?
Bob
Community Veteran

I don't understand. If Tesco will give you a refund, why don't you take the cash and buy a standard Gigaset handset?

True!, IIRC the DP450 was about £50ish and you can get a Gigaset A580IP for about that money. If you have any additional DP45 handsets then they should work with the A580. I've got a DP45 and it works just fine with my C475IP.
puddy
Grafter

I think cost the issue!
My otheir voip provider orbtalk no longer give free normal UK std numbers free of charge now the list of free std number providers (voip) is now very small  I cannot get sipgate to work on any of my sip phones, sipgate even sent me the settings direct to my mobile and it still wont work.
Tesco's are breaking EU law by locking phones to their network, I just cannot understand why theirs not an override code like locked mobiles phones use that Tesco can provide the effected users.
Thats why I suggested making yourselve a pain in their rear its a very poor show for a company as big as tesco.  You think they would have looked at other voip providers to take over the voip service like Plusnet did when they signed up with Gradwell instead of just closing the service.
I still think trading standards could help if enough tesco voip users make a mass complaint.  Dont complane at store level you need to phone their head office and ask which product manager is dealing with this issue.
puddy
daimon

Quote from: Rikaitch
Tesco have decided they're going to remove their internet phone service. This means that everyone with a Tesco Internet Phone and Number are having the plug pulled at the end of April. I have a Siemens DP450 set up with them, and it's very good. It's also going to make a nice doorstop by the end of the month, unless I could maybe get PN's voip settings to work. Has anyone got any info?

I spoke to Tesco's and twice I heard they are in negotiations with Siemens to get the DP450's unlocked via a flash update!  I was told to call them next Tuesday13/4/2010 for an update!!  Don't hold your breath, but there are positive noises coming from them!!
Rikaitch
Grafter

Quote from: daimon
I spoke to Tesco's and twice I heard they are in negotiations with Siemens to get the DP450's unlocked via a flash update!  I was told to call them next Tuesday13/4/2010 for an update!!  Don't hold your breath, but there are positive noises coming from them!!

That is most excellent news. They emailed me back to say that they'd get someone from their technical team to get in touch, but I haven't heard any more. Maybe they'll let me know if this update goes through. Otherwise I'll be bringing the phone home on Friday. The other problem I have is trying to find any voip phones over here in Ireland at the moment to replace it with, so this option really would be the best for me.