cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terms & Conditions confusion

jaygee

Terms & Conditions confusion

I would be grateful if anyone can clarify the inconsistency in the terms & conditions relating to inactivity on  broadband phone.
from Broadband Phone FAQ  [13Apr2012 update]:
8. What happens if I don't use my Broadband Phone account?
If you're a Broadband Phone PAYG Customer:
You'll need to use Broadband Phone for at least 2 minutes each month; otherwise your landline number will be removed and given to someone else.
BUT
from Terms and Conditions for Plusnet Residential Services  [in effect from 6th December 2011] :
Plusnet Broadband Phone Service Terms
18  Where we have provided the service free or as part of another package and you allow more than 90 days to pass after the last time you used it to make an outgoing call, your agreement for the service will end automatically and you will lose your Plusnet Broadband Phone number.

The first says a minimum of 2 minutes usage per month [no start/stop date quoted to define a 'month'] or landline number [I presume Broadband Phone number is meant]  is removed.
Does this mean the service ceases and any credit is forfeit ? So if I go on holiday for a month [I make a point of isolating myself from distractions like internet] I could lose my Broadband Phone ?
The second says use within 90 day period [but no minimum usage time quoted ] or Broadband Phone number will be lost.
Again does the service cease and remaining credit is forfeit ?

So which terms & conditions actually applies for home broadband phone on PAYG ?

3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

Re: Terms & Conditions confusion

There are 3 different account types for Broadband phone :-
1) PAYG - whereby you pay no monthly fee and pay for calls as they are made
2) A Subscription based account whereby you pay per month for a package of calls i.e Evening & Weekend OR Anytime
3) Where you have Broadband Phone included minutes as part of your main monthly Broadband subscription.
Ok, to try and answer your queries:-
The first says a minimum of 2 minutes usage per month [no start/stop date quoted to define a 'month'] or landline number [I presume Broadband Phone number is meant]  is removed.
Does this mean the service ceases and any credit is forfeit ? So if I go on holiday for a month [I make a point of isolating myself from distractions like internet] I could lose my Broadband Phone ?
That only applies to account type 1) above. It means your VOIP number could be reallocated, as to whether your account is closed and and credit is lost, it would need a PlusNet rep to confirm the details. Actually I find BB phone very useful when on holiday. With a softphone on a laptop/netbook or even a smartphone and a wireless connection you can make phone calls very cheaply, especially back to the UK when abroad.
The second says use within 90 day period [but no minimum usage time quoted ] or Broadband Phone number will be lost.
Again does the service cease and remaining credit is forfeit ?
As far as I can see this can only apply to account type 3) and AFAIK it only deallocates your VOIP number. I can't see how this can apply to type 2) since a subscription is being paid every month and so you are entitled to use or not use the service as you see fit.

Actually that reminds me, I probably haven't made an outgoing call for a month or so, I'd better go check and make one...
Edit: yes thanks for reminding me, hadn't made one for a couple of months, fired up X-Lite on my office PC and called my direct line.
RPMozley
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

That's interesting MisterW, about using it abroad. Is there really no country restrictions?
Also, I was told awhile back that to have the VoIP account remain active I either have to make a chargeable call or have three incoming calls within three months (probably the 90 days thing shown above). This is easy for me as our home phone has free local calls, so one call each month keeps it going from an old legacy product of 120 minutes per month.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 39

That's interesting MisterW, about using it abroad. Is there really no country restrictions?

No, you connect over the internet to the Gradwell voip server when you start your softphone. So any telephone call you make is effectively from the UK. Most places these days have free wireless access in various shops/pubs/public places etc. As long as you can get a free internet connection there are no other charges other than your normal voip charges.
I go to Portugal a couple of times a year, most towns have free wifi hotspots and I can just  connect my netbook, fire up my softphone and call to the UK for free ( I have 120 mins/month VOIP calls included with my Broadband ).